Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Do dolphins wear shorts?

Do you remember Dolphin shorts? They were really popular in the 80s. This picture is of me & Rick taken at Six Flags Magic Mountain sometime around 1982 or 1983. It was back in the day when we couldn't take our eyes off each other, when we hung around in petting zoos at amusement parks, and when we weren't afraid of being laughed at for wearing the same t-shirt. We got those shirts at the Alliance for Survival concert in Los Angeles. What stands out to me most are my Dolphin shorts. Rick said the first thing he noticed about me were my shorts when we met in high school back in 1981. I was wearing purple shorts and he remembers that like it was yesterday -- dork. Dolphin was the brand name and they had a little dolphin image on one side. The only place you see shorts like these now is Hooters. Not that I've ever been there, but I've seen pictures. I guess they were a pretty big deal back in the 80s, especially to guys like Rick.

Are there any fads that stick out in your mind? Or something you see in your old pictures that make you go, "What in the world was I thinking?" I have a few photographs like that myself.

15 comments:

  1. Feathered bangs, the Shag, the bright blue eyeshadow ...oh, I could go on and on.

    I remember these shorts. When my kids look back and see pics they just laugh. I didn't know they were Dolphin shorts though.

    When we were traveling, and hungry, we stopped at a Hooters with the kids. I went up and asked the hostess if kids could eat there - I didn't know.

    She looked offended but said "um...sure." So we did - good wings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahahaha!!! I used to have Dolphin shorts! I totally forgot about them until now. Tee! Hee! How funny! Mine were purple and white. Loved how they made my legs look so tan. (Of course, that was only because I grew up in Miami and lived in the sun.) Something would be lost in the translation if I had to wear them now. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww . . . cute picture.

    For some reason parachute pants stick out in my mind.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pic! And what nice legs you have, Rena!
    I remember Dolphin shorts, but never owned a pair. I remember the parachute pants too! It was big in junior high, but my mom wouldn't buy me a pair. Feathered hair definitely was the big fad. In junior high, it looks like the whole class had the same haircut!
    And then there were mullets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember pac man..I had t-shirts, sweat shirts and jackets with pac man on them...I was such a dork...grin...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice legs! LOL Elephant bells jeans, HAD to have a pair. 8 track tapes were all the rage, if you had one in your car you were hip! At least where I lived anyway.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purple and white vertical stripes; I begged and begged my mother for them and then I wore them to death.

    Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Dolphin shorts. I also remember many things that were popular back in the '60s, but we don't want to go there....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl...you cracked me up on this post. :) I don't plan to make any wardrobe confessions here. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL @ these replies. I've been digging through some old photo albums today and noticed I had Dolphin shorts in green, purple, white and blue/white. I think that was it. I really wasn't into big name brand stuff when I was in high school all that much.

    Maybe someday I'll show you the picture of the pink fingerless glove. Yes, just ONE glove! 8-}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Halarious! I had the big puffy bangs and giant hoop earings. Yep and the blue eyeshadow too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fads I remember best from my teen years (late 80s) are big, teased hair, and jeans so tight you had to put baby oil on first so they'd slide on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, blue eyeshadow. And micro-minis, with matching underwear. Hmmm, I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had those shorts! And I straightened my curly hair so I could have feathers...they went so well with my ripped Flashdance shirt that I had to sneak to school in my backpack because my mother wouldn't let me out of the house if I was wearing it :^) Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rena, what a cute pic of you and Rick. You do look great in those shorts!

    I remember baggy clothes from junior high school, circa 1984. The larger they were, the better. We all looked like the Michelin man. Why was that attractive?

    ReplyDelete