Saturday, March 13, 2010

Loser!


Would you call a sixth grader a loser? Sixth grade is how old -- about eleven? I saw this story online today and stuff like this infuriates me. What is wrong with people? What makes me even more mad are parents who agree with this teacher's style, and yet, are too much of a coward to go on camera and explain it. Another thing that ticks me off was the teacher himself blatantly saying, "When I come to school every day I have one hundred nineteen kids that I'm their parent for nine hours of the day." What the hell? Who is this guy? Parents parent their children. Teachers are supposed to teach children academics. When I look back on my own education, especially elementary school, I can't think of one teacher that I ever looked up to or thought of as a parent. Not one.

Stories like this make me glad I homeschool my kids. I feel bad for children who are dealing with stuff like this in school. No one should be bullied by a classmate, more or less their teacher. I didn't exactly have school experience filled with rainbows and lollipops either. I could make a huge list of negative things relating to my school days. Now, I realize there are a lot of good teachers out there -- really, really good teachers. It's just like criminals. We only hear of the things the bad guys do, when in fact, they make up only 1% of the population, if that. I'm sure it's that way with teachers. This is really unfortunate too because I know good teachers exist. However, we only read the stories about the ones who write "-20% for being a loser!" on a little girl's assignment, or the thirtysomething women having affairs with fourteen-year-old boys. Are there no thirtysomething men for these pathetic women? And tell me, how can telling a child they're a loser make them better themselves? How? By the way, if you click on the link to the story, watch the video too. The little girl looks like a sweetheart. Where were all MY teachers when all the real losers were messing with me during school?

11 comments:

  1. Oh my GOD! This makes me so angry! God forbid a teacher ever did something like that to my kid. I would raise hell from coast to coast. You do not treat children like this! The only person who's the loser here is that stupid teacher!

    I am so irate reading this article. Oh my gosh. As if kids don't have enough self-esteem issues as it is these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the article just this morning. I actually live in Buncombe County in North Carolina.

    Makes me glad that I homeschool too, Rena!

    There's no excuse for treating any child that way. That's something that that girl will never forget :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a world of where kids can be cruel, sometimes the teacher is the only person that is kind to that child in a day. And this is utterly ridiculous and shameful. Do know, Rena, that most teachers go into the profession because they truly want to make a positive difference in a child's life. But unfortunately there are a few that do not belong in that vocation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - I'd have a F.I.T. !!!

    That's my button - and it would have been pushed because nothing gets to me more than my children. And no teacher parents or ever parented for me. That was my privilege and those kids are my blessing and their father's - a teachers job is to teach - that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am actually speechless which for me is fairly impossible. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read about this and was disgusted. And you're right, teachers should be teaching, not parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... back in the stone age when I was in third grade, I had a teacher who was like this and worse. Way worse. This is why my generation became such hell-raisers in their own kids' classrooms. When I was a kid, none of the parents REALLY knew what went on in that classroom, nor would they have butted in if they had. "Catch it at school, catch it twice at home" was the rule.

    The thing is, back then PC was unheard of. Yet, in this supposedly enlightened era, there are STILL teachers doing these awful things. Makes society seem really schizophrenic.

    My dad was a teacher. He taught in the days when divorce jumped from almost unheard of to 50% of the population, and he felt the role of teachers changed in that time. He didn't WANT to be the parent, but he sometimes felt teachers became pseudo-parents b/c the single parents were either too frantically trying to earn a living or too preoccupied searching for their next lover to pay attention. And the kids were being dropped off at school at 7:30 am on the parent's way to work, coming without breakfast, with homework undone, and on and on. I do feel that the same people who claim "it takes a village" can't complain when the village steps in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, the federal government has put a lot of the requirements of parenting on schools, which burdens them to the point of not being able to only teach. Not that that is any excuse.
    I'm all about kicking out the bad teachers and I do think the union protects the wrong people, to the detriment of public education.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHen I read the story the other day I was so angry. I was thinking it had to be a joke. I have delt with similar issues with my step son and his local school. I got into an argument with a teacher of his 3 years ago during conferance. I politely mentioned how the kids are saying she yells at them to SHUT UP and asked if it was true. She admitted she yelled that and more being as the kids wont listen to her. I calmly talked to her about it whilst she got more and more agitated. I finally said OK what happens if the boy gets into your face and yes SHUT UP what happens..... I also said how about if I try that right now what happens? It went back and forth and she had not realized that the principal was standing behind her listening in. The boy was taken out of her class the next day. Oh and her excuse was her class gets out of controll and what else can she do? When I smiled and said if it is that out of controll hen you have lost the controll and need to call for assistance. She so did not like me. :) I was angry more at the parents that all knew this went on and said nothng. No one but me had the gall to stand up for the kids rights. There were a few parents ahead of me that all said they were going to mention it and none did. Wow parents lets let our kids go be verbally abused at school! Yea haw! *sarcasm* Oh I have always been very vocal over the kids rights at school I have been called the B word a few times by staff under their breath and I just sweetly smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The teacher who said he was a "parent" was not the teacher who wrote the loser note. I think what he meant was that he treated his students like he was the parent and hoped that his children's teachers did the same. As to the teacher who called the child a loser, I'm not sure he should stay in the classroom until he is re-trained.

    ReplyDelete