Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Attachments ...


The other day I posted about that bizarre dream I had about my dad. It's been stuck in my mind ever since. Thank you, by the way, for all of the nice comments you made both here and on my Facebook page. Having absolutely no memory of my dad, it was weird to dream about him like that. I really appreciate all of your comments. It meant a lot to me.

This picture is of my dad's elementary class. My brother sent it to me a few years back. I have several pictures of my mom when she was young and a few of my grandmother, but this is the ONLY picture I have of my dad when he was a child. He's in the 2nd row from the bottom. If you start on the right and count over, he's the 5th boy. His name was Richard and he was originally from Illinois. I really don't know anything about his childhood or how he came to meeting my mom or anything like that, which is pretty sad.

It's funny how the older I get, the more attached to things I become. It can be an old toy or book (even a replacement of one I once had) or a photograph or even a dream. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. I love old photos! It seems the same with me. I've never been one to get attached to "things" but, the older I get, it's changing. I find myself often wishing I would have 'saved this' or 'saved that' so I would have it to look back on. I have very little left from my childhood. It would be nice to have some of it to show my children now. But, I can't change the past. I try to take lots of photos and things for them now so they will have things to look back on. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what my mom tells me is going to happen...:) but I dunno. She doesn't realize that my sister and I are less attached to "stuff" in middle age than she was even when she was young. Photos are great, though. I just wonder how many there'll be in the future. How often do I hear, "My computer crashed and I reinstalled everything. Lost the photos, though."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Marcia. I've become more attached to things as an adult, simply because so much was lost from my childhood. I have very little -- a toy my dad gave me, my teddy bear, and my baby book. A few things that were special to me as a child I've managed to replace with the help of places like eBay.

    ReplyDelete