Saturday, July 10, 2010

Interesting dream ...


Sometime early this morning, I had a dream about my dad. He was playing with me. I can't remember where we were, but it was either by a couch or table. I felt his touch and I heard him talking to me.

For those who don't know, my dad died just a year after I was born. I have absolutely no memory of him. I only have a couple of pictures and an old VHS tape that my brother sent me a long time ago. It has some footage of my mom and dad on it, but I'm not in it. I haven't watched it in ages.

What makes this unusual is that I've NEVER EVER dreamt about my dad. Since the film I have is old, there's no sound, so I've never heard his voice before. I did as a baby, but there's no way I can remember that far back. I know very little about my dad. His death was painful for my mom and she never talked about him. His family blamed her for his death and disowned her afterwards, so I couldn't learn about him from them. It was really strange to dream about him because that's never happened. As I started to wake up, I wanted to drift back to sleep so I could continue it. It might sound cheesy or silly, but I woke up feeling grateful for it.

8 comments:

  1. How special and precious to have had that dream. And what a beautiful picture. His love is so apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is incredible, Rena. I would keep that very close to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no explaining some dreams, but they certainly can be treasures. I suspect you'll remember that one for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing dream Rena! I am so happy that you had it. Only recently have I started to hope my dreams meant something. Mainly because I have had 3 dreams of my mom since she passed away in March. In all 3, she was checking up on dad and me and in one she protected me from danger. I woke up from all the dreams feeling happy and grateful. I am so glad you now have a new memory of your dad.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your dream, Rena. I sometimes dream about my sister, who died when she was 16 and I was 19. It's always a bittersweet experience waking up from one of those dreams. My husband always tells me she's just stopping in to say "Hi!"

    Maybe you subconsciously remember your father's voice from all those years ago...stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I rarely have dreams. Sometimes I wonder why, but I guess no dreams are better than bad dreams. Even though you think you don't remember your dad, there might be something still in your subconscious mind. They say our brains hardly forget anything at all, that it is capable of remembering everything, and that there is a certain spot in our brains where we store everything, even if it's never brought back to memory again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing experience. I can fully understand why you wanted to continue your dream. It must be surreal hearing his voice, but comforting to have him in your heart.

    I knew my dad very well and often dream about him. I always want to keep on dreaming, but daybreak interrupts and lifts the memories away like a curtain in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete