Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Old toys ... sigh.


Rick and I went on a date last night. That's not something we do often. A date for us usually means grabbing a slice of pizza at Costco before heading to the grocery store. We did have pizza last night, but not from Costco. It was one of those places that cooks them with a wood-fired oven. They have one I love called Crazy Mountain with sausage, pepperoni, salami, olives, red onions, and jalapenos. It went perfect with a Kokanee beer. After dinner we went across the parking lot to the movie theater. The kids gave Rick a gift card for Father's Day, so we decided to see Toy Story 3. Yes, without our children. We didn't feel bad though because all four kids saw it together when it first came out. Being the weirdos we are, we decided to pick that one over the grown-up movies. I'll watch an animated film over others anyday.

We're big fans of the first two Toy Story movies and we knew this one wouldn't disappoint us. The kids had come home raving about how good it was. It really was. It's one of those must-haves when it comes out on DVD. The best part about it was that it was totally unpredictable. A lot of movies are easy to figure out what's going to happen, but not this one. One of my favorite parts was with Mr. Potato Head and the tortilla. Whoever came up with that idea was brilliant! I don't want to give the story away for those who haven't seen it yet. It's been out for a long time though, so I'm sure most of you have. If not, you really should go see it while it's still out.

I really enjoyed the movie, especially being the sucker I am for old toys and nostalgia. I have very little from my childhood. The picture above is of a shelf in my basement next to the TV. There's a Mrs. Beasley doll, but it's a replica, as I no longer have the original I got when I was four. There's also a Chrissy doll. She's not my original either, but bought on eBay on a nostalgic impulse. The same goes for the two books, both childhood favorites. The teddy bear and squeaky bear are my own. Those have always belonged to me and really the only thing I have from my childhood. I've added miniature Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls to my shelf since taking this picture. And because of this, Toy Story 3 really hit home with me. I felt like a sap for crying at the end of the movie, but felt better when I realized Rick cried too. He's not nearly as nostalgic to old things like me. I guess you know you're getting old when two people as old as we are cry during a kid's movie. Sheesh. Talk about a couple of sappy, old geezers ...

8 comments:

  1. I loved Toy Story 3! I cried too... and my emotions were screwed up for the rest of the night. Everyone who went to see it was standing in a circle outside afterward, talking, and the littlest thing would set me off. I just kept crying, haha :)

    and I love Bullman's! I take my brother there every year for his birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I was bawling like a baby when we went to see it. And I even knew the whole darn story, thanks to a book that had been leaked a week before the premier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a Mrs. Beasley... but I did have a Velvet, Chrissy's blonde cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too cute that you two went and saw an animated movie!
    My hubby took my kids to see it while I was in NY so will have to wait til it's on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have shoulders to cry on. I have yet to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Beasley! Cool!

    I missed Toy Story 3. Thank goodness for Netflix.

    ReplyDelete