Friday, September 17, 2010

Political Opinions


I don't usually discuss religion or politics, especially on my blog. This really isn't about either of those, but I do want to ask a question ...

Does a celebrity or author's political opinions influence you?

I see so many celebrities shooting their mouths off about politics these days. I guess that's nothing new. I'm just older and more aware of what's going on, I suppose. I don't watch many movies or television, so that doesn't bother me too much. I don't look up to those people. I do, however, see more and more authors doing the same thing. Some are very popular. Some write books for children.

Does that sort of thing influence you as to whether you will buy or not buy a book? Or, is it easy for you to see past that? I realize a person's political opinions doesn't reflect their work. I know that. I have to be honest. It is hard for me when they say something nasty. It leaves a bad taste with me. I wish I simply didn't care and could let it slide. Is it easy for you? I wonder how much it hurts an author or celebrity -- if at all.

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Like you, now that I'm older and have begun following politics seriously, I do find myself distancing myself from people who are not as like minded as myself in the political arena. And that includes celebrities and auathors as well as real people.

    With all the turmoil going on in the world today, I think we have to band together to straighten it out instead of pointing fingers at who's right and who's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to stay out of politics, especially on my blog. Sometimes it does influence me when I hear a writer talk about politics on their blog...and it doesn't always influence me in a good way. If they want to talk politics, they should have a political blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Take Sean Penn who has spent a tremendous amount of time in Haiti. He can get politically loud, but he's putting time and money where his mouth is.

    Most people though are just noisy. I don't listen to them, and I might go see their movie or read their book.

    I/we could get carried away with being anti somebody for something they said. That way leads (in the extreme)to black-listing, censure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you all. What I forgot to mention was that I still might buy someone's book or watch a movie, even when I disagree with their political opinions. Like myself, I believe they have a right to express them. I was just curious if that was smart and/or if it hurts their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess to liking Kelsey Grammer less now that he's the "voice of the conservative right."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most celebrities and authors have different political opinions than I do. It neither surprises me nor sways me, and makes little difference as to whether I like their books, etc. I say "little" instead of "no" because sometimes a writer's politics are a little too transparent and that can make their book too predictable.

    The only time I was offended was when four BIG-name children's writers were exchanging jokes about a certain politician in a big-name review mag. Now, I don't care whether they like that particular person or not, or whether I do, for that matter. What offended me was the implication that anyone reading this magazine would of course agree with them so they did not have to hold back. As if children's writers were that homogeneous. I do think about this episode when I see their books.

    ReplyDelete