Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Warning: Amazon Rant!


I collect Little Golden Books. I don't have a huge collection, but I have enough to take up a full shelf. So, when I saw the book pictured above on Amazon, I knew I had to get it. I had it when I was a kid and I really wanted to add it to my collection. The package arrived today and when I opened it, I was surprised to find a completely different book inside. Oh sure, it was The Night Before Christmas, but it wasn't the book I ordered.

I've contacted the seller and hopefully he can straighten this out for me. I realize there are thousands of versions of The Night Before Christmas and maybe it was just an oversight. I really hope so because if not, that would make me mad. Maybe they had the wrong picture up. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear from them. But regardless, it was not the book I wanted, as I specifically ordered this one for the illustrator and illustrations. I have many copies of The Night Before Christmas, so it wasn't like any old copy would do.

I suppose I shouldn't let this make me mad, but it does. I just hope it was either an oversight or maybe even that they had the wrong picture up. Because if they figured any old copy of The Night Before Christmas was what I ordered, then they are way, way wrong. Grrr, grrr, rant, rant ...

11 comments:

  1. Yes, it is, Walter. I know it seems silly because it's just a book and I didn't pay too much for it. But it's just the thought, especially if they figured they could send any old one. The thought of having to go to the post office this week to return it is horrifying in itself -- HA! But who knows, maybe we can resolve it and it will turn out to be no big deal. I was just SO excited about it because it was a book I had as a kid and I like coming across those types of things. I don't have much leftover from my childhood, so I guess that's why it bothered me so much. KWIM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a bad experience with one merchant on Amazon. I ordered a play, and they sent me the book upon which the play was based. They did not return my emails, so I filed a complaint with Amazon and they refunded my money.

    THEN the merchant asked me to change my 1-star rating.

    o.O

    /end rant

    Anyways, yes, it is a bummer. Hope you get what you're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that copy for my children when they were little. I wish now I had kept all their little golden books, but ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when people mess up my orders:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well ... he replied and was very nice. He apologized and said that was the only issue he had on hand. He said he refunded my money and told me to keep the copy, which I thought was sweet.

    I've seen others of the book I wanted online, so perhaps I can get a copy eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I saw that cover I remembered that book! My favorite line, for unknown reasons, was "And he shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly."

    The illustrations somehow convey the comfort and joy of the season. Hope you get the right one soon. And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It happens on the online bookseller sites, I'm afraid. The paperback versions of my books had different covers from the hardback books, but since the paperbacks were only sold through Harlequin's online store, any used copies that showed up on amazon's associated vendors were linked to the hardcover photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazon can be tricky. My daughter made a Wish List for Christmas, so it would be easier to shop for her family. THREE of the items I purchased off her list--she did not put on there! I'm really ticked, and I've got to return everything. I took a screenshot of her list in the event Amazon tries to pull a fast one. Argh. Hope you get the book situation straightened out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect little Golden Books, too. I love them. I posted one time about my Christmas ones. You can go here to see them http://creativewritingintheblackberrypatch.blogspot.com/search/label/christmas%20books

    I hope you get it straightened out with Amazon.

    ReplyDelete