Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WOOT!


I went to my doctor today. I've been having slight 'black-outs' whenever I stand up. They only last a couple of seconds, but I have to stop and close my eyes before I can see right again. I knew it was due to my high blood pressure medication being too high. About a year ago I was at an initial new patient visit at my dentist office and they took my BP and it was super high. I had no idea I had high blood pressure. I'm talking TRIPLE digits for both numbers. Yeah, that high -- scary, might-have-a-stroke kind of high.

I went to my doctor and started taking Lisinopril, but it didn't go down enough, so they upped my dose even more. Since day one, this medicine has made me feel bad. I would get dizzy every time I stood up. People would always tell me to stand up slower, but seriously, who does that? When you stand up -- you stand up. It's not like I was hopping to my feet. So, I lived with the dizziness for a long time. The blacking out part was new, but it's been getting worse, so I knew I had to get it checked.

I'm so happy to say my doctor has reduced my dosage. One ingredient in the Lisinopril has been taken out completely. I was taking 25MG once a day, but now she's got me on 10MG. I have to split the pills to make them 5MG in the morning and another 5MG at night. After a week of this, I get to stop the nighttime dose. Then, if my pressure continues to do well, after 2 months I get to STOP taking them FOR GOOD!

I've lost 48 pounds so far. Getting off this medication has been one of my main goals, so if I can get off them for good, that would be awesome.

8 comments:

  1. I hope you get off the pills, they sound horrible. Gee 48 pounds is alot to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Rena. Way to go! Hope the reduced meds also help. Hugs!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool. That IS good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow congrats on the 48 pounds! Isn't it fun losing weight?
    I am so glad that you are getting to lower the the BP meds. The black outs are scary. Keep us posted in how you are doing it makes me happy to har good things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! 48 pounds??? You must be a toothpick! I've been on a reverse diet, I think. I've gained 10 kilos (sounds better) since I've moved to France. I'm glad your blood pressure seems to be sorting out! Blackouts _ what a scary thing to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rena,

    I hope this medicine works for you. Losing the weight I bet will help a lot with the blood pressure too. Good for you. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete