Sunday, April 1, 2012

Stupidest thing I've read in awhile ...


I love camping. I've been camping since I was a little girl. Rick and I have been camping for almost as long as we've been together. Fortunately, it's something we've continued with all these years. We started out in tents, moved to a tent trailer, and now camp in a 28' long travel trailer. This is our set-up pictured above. It's hardly roughing it, but we still enjoy tent camping every now and then. I have to admit, I like my bed better than the ground.

I was just reading the news online and an article about camping got my attention. The first part was okay because it talked about ways to make camping more enjoyable. It reminded people to bring air mattresses, bug repellent, and stuff like that. However, one of the paragraphs was absolutely mind-blogging. I mean, it was completely stupid. This is what it said ...

It's not always the wife or the girlfriend who is leery about pitching a tent in the woods; this can apply to men too! Make your camping trip an event and invite a group. Good company can make all the difference. Check out the campground's alcohol policy and, if you get the thumbs up, come prepared for a good time. This will make campfire story time much more interesting. If your campground does not have electrical outlets, make sure someone brings portable iPod speakers and crank up the tunes.

What the hell is that all about? If you have to bring gobs of alcohol to have a good time, then just do us all a favor and STAY HOME! If you have to crank up the tunes and you just happen to be camping next to me, I'm going to complain to the campground host. I mean, what an absolutely stupid thing to say. I go camping to get outdoors and to enjoy the sounds of nature. The last thing I want is a group of drunk, idiots camping next to my family with their music blasting. You know, every now and then I read something and think to myself, "Are people really that stupid?" I guess they are.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. And they think they are camping? I was raised tent camping. Every year we went to Kentucky or Tennessee and stayed in non-electric campground. We recently inherited my parents' trailer. My husband will be experiencing camping for the first time in over 40 years. (Our son camped with his grandparents so he is an old pro)This will be my first time in over 20 years. We are so excited and if anyone cranks the tunes next to us, I'll probably have words with them first and then the proprietors. I guess some "campers" just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Rena. That's disgusting. Whoever wrote that hasn't a clue about the real meaning/reason for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were just talking about this this morning - some camping areas are dominated by partiers. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Adrienne. That's why I prefer to go to national parks to camp. It costs more, but that seems to keep some of the riff-raff out. And the NP rangers are usually more strict when it comes to rowdy crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dumb, dumb, dumb. And let's not overlook the sexist opening comment about wives and girlfriends not wanting to sleep in tents!

    ReplyDelete