Monday, December 31, 2012

Remember these bed sets?


Do you remember the family room on the Brady Bunch show? Remember the corner couch set? That's it pictured above. Last night I had one of those weird triggers where I suddenly remembered something from my childhood. I tossed and turned and couldn't go back to sleep, so I had to get up and do a search to see if I could find these sectional sets. Frankly, I didn't come up with much at first. I did find some sites that had people commenting that they were looking for the same thing. So, I guess these sets were popular at some point. I found a few other pictures ...


As you can see from the other pictures, one side of the couch slides under the table to save room. Then to have two separate beds, you simply pull one to extend it out.



I'm not sure when we bought our set, but it was sometime in the 1970s. We had moved into my grandparent's house because my grandma was ill and needed help being taken care of. My sister and I had to move into a fairly small room, so we ended up with one of these sectional sofa/bed sets. That's me on the left in the picture below. I was playing Monopoly with one of my neighbor friends and you can kind of see our poodle mix in the bottom. His name was Woody.


I don't have any decent pictures of the set as it was supposed to be set up. The picture above shows one of the beds, the covering, and one of the backrest pillows. There were two of these beds, four backrest pillows, plus a bright yellow table that one bed would slide under to save space. This picture was taken after we moved back away from my grandparent's house, so it's not set up properly. I'd love to find a picture of the actual set though. It's just weird because I'm not sure what made me think of this. And why yellow?

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year's holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rena--

    They used to sell beds like this at Ikea.

    Happy New Year!

    chrisd (from Multiply and FB)

    ReplyDelete