Sunday, December 9, 2012

What?!?!


Rick thinks I'm doing this on purpose, of course. I honestly don't know what he's talking about. I'm just trying to let them grow out -- really. ;) The bangs are getting long. They're just about long enough to tuck behind my ears now, although I don't like how that feels. I haven't let my bangs grow out in years. In fact, I can't even remember when I didn't have bangs. It had to be in the 1970s. It's been a long, long time!

It's hard to believe it's been a month (yesterday) since I met Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's the guy picture above, in case you didn't know. We were in California last month. We spent a few days at Disneyland with my in-laws and celebrated Nathan's 13th birthday there. After that, we spent the rest of our trip in Ojai at Rick's parent's house. We're from Ojai originally, in case you didn't know that either.

On our way from Anaheim to Ojai, we decided to drive up the coast. It had been awhile since we were in California and we thought it would be fun to go up PCH. It was overcast and a little rainy, but since we don't see the ocean anymore, we figured it would be fun. We decided to stop at a few places on our way. Rick went to college in Malibu at Pepperdine University, so we stopped at one of the state parks nearby. As we were looking at the coast from the point, I turned around and saw a familiar looking white, electric car drive up. I knew that car. I'd seen it many times on the Internet. Sure as heck, Anthony Kiedis hopped out.

OMG -- I could not believe it -- of ALL people!

What was the chance? I guess you could say it was pretty good. After all, I was in his neighborhood. I'm familiar with Malibu and I know the area where he lives. Plus, he's a surfer and I'm sure that's a favorite spot since it's close to home. I also knew he was on a break from the recent RHCP tour. So, I guess the chances were good. But, the chance of him showing up at the precise moment we were looking around? Get out.

At this point, I was by myself. Rick was with the boys ahead of me on one of the trails. Anthony walked by them and said, "Howdy!" My boys knew who he was, so they got a big kick of that. Then he walked by me on the same trail and said hi. I said hi back and then blurted out his name like an idiot. He raised his eyebrows like he was surprised I knew who he was. Then he smiled and went to check out the waves.

Now there was no way I was going to approach him. I've seen video clips of him online and I know he can be kind of feisty when people approach him. No way was I going to get yelled at by this man I love just as much as chocolate cream pie. Rick, on the other hand, had nothing to lose. He went up to him (without me) and asked if he'd be willing to take a picture with me. Of course, he said no (I knew he would) and rambled about "not really being into all that right now" or something. Regardless, he was very nice about it. Rick told him I'd be at his show the following week in Seattle, in which Anthony replied, "I'll be there!" 

So sadly, there is no picture of me with him. That's okay -- I will get one someday -- I will. After that, we walked along a trail so I could take some pictures of the ocean and coast. Anthony stood in the same spot, probably checking to see if the waves were decent from the pending storm. If he had been threatened by us or thought we were some crazy, lunatic fans, he probably would have left right away. He didn't. He stayed there as long as we did. He only started walking back to his car when we did because it started to rain harder.

I couldn't believe it. The chance of him showing up at that exact moment we were there? So bizarre! Rick talked to him more than I did, but he wasn't impressed. He thought he was kind of an ass to say no to having his picture taken. I mean, a mom and her two little boys? Rick thought he was a jerk to say no. At the same time, he understood his side too, and respected that. He was nice to us. That was good enough for me. 

I did take two pictures. The first was after I said hi to him and it shows his back as he looked at the waves. I was really far away, so there's no way he knew I took it. This was also before Rick asked him about taking a picture. The other was when we were leaving and is of the trail we were on. It just happens to have him in it, plus his car, and our rental car. Again, I was really far back on the trail, so there's no way he knew I took it. I won't be posting them. I've seen how any picture of Anthony Kiedis goes viral on Twitter and Facebook. Mine aren't great pictures, but I don't want them plastered all over the Internet like that. So, out of respect to him (even though Rick thinks he's an ass) I won't post them. But they do exist ... even if just for me.

Totally made my day -- as you can imagine!

10 comments:

  1. Life can hold the strangest happenstance situations :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool that you got to see him! Too bad he didn't cooperate about the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but that's okay. It will give me something to strive for later. Hahahaha!

      Delete
  3. That is so crazy that you were there at the same time! How thrilling for you, Rena!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coincidence! I think the long bangs look better on you than him :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty darn cool! I ran into Magic Johnson in Hawaii once and asked for his autograph and he said no, he was on vacation. Hey, we tried, right? I can totally understand where they're coming from. That's part of the price of fame, though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the same thing happened to me with Paul McCartney. A bunch of friends and I ran into him at a train station in London. They asked for a picture, but he said no and that he didn't want to "cause a scene". I could care less actually, since I was so into The Who at the time. LOL!

      Delete