Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Not feeling it ...


This is pretty much how I feel right now. The good thing is that I don't get like this often, so I'm hoping it passes soon. I wanted to attend a homeschool convention, but it turns out ours has been canceled for this year. Even after 14+ years of homeschooling, the workshops are helpful, especially when it comes to burn-out. I always come back feeling refreshed and ready to start up again. I guess that's not going to happen this year.

I went to the Montana Homeschool Convention by myself last year. Rick and the boys went with me to Helena, but I attended the convention alone. I didn't know anyone locally who was going, so I just kept busy with the workshops I signed up for. I had really hoped there would be one this year, but I guess it's going to be postponed until 2014. A year is a long time to wait. Oh well. Hopefully, I'll snap out of this funk and get myself motivated on my own. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing — that is, when I set my mind to it.

I'm also a little burnt-out with my writing. I have some new ideas for picture books, so I'd like to get started on those and possibly start submitting to new publishers soon. I also have a middle grade novel I want to get revised and ready to go. I was thinking of self-publishing it at first, but now I'm not sure if I want to go that route or submit it to a traditional publisher.

Anyway, I hate being in a funk like this, so hopefully it will pass soon.

8 comments:

  1. I've been burnt out and away from writing for so long, but I'm finally getting back into it. I think the vague hint that spring is finally on the way may be helping...


    The Whispering Ferns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you, Kris. I know for me, I tend to back off from writing when I'm busy homeschooling my boys. I tend to write more in the summer when we take a break. :)

      Delete
  2. Stepping away is sometimes the trick.
    Or not.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your homeschooling convention is inspiring like our SCBWI conferences...and a year is a long time to wait :( hang in there...Mom always used to say, "This too will pass."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the conventions are the same sort of deal, leaving you feeling refreshed and ready to go again. :)

      Delete
  4. We all get burnt out once in a while. Try to take a break, and then come back. Time away usually helps. Good luck with submitting to a publisher. I'm in the middle of that process now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. It's been so long that I sent out submissions. I don't even know where to start. Good luck to you too!

      Delete