Monday, March 4, 2013

WYSIWYG ... or is it?


I've been having fun playing around with pictures on Instagram. I'm a latecomer there. If you follow me on IG, you've probably noticed I've been posting a lot of pictures. I mean — a lot. I guess I feel I have to make up for lost time or something. But anyway, it's interesting to see how you can change your photographs, as I've done with this one. The original is below.


As you can see, I've made the image a lot darker. My hair is really reddish right now, although it doesn't show up that way in the original. It's just interesting to me how one click of a button can totally change the look of a photograph. I have PhotoShop, so I know how complicated this can be when you're doing it on your own verses using something like Instagram.

It makes me wonder about photography in general. When I first got into computers and what we used to call desktop publishing, we used the term WYSIWYG. It stood for: What You See Is What You Get. It's interesting to note that what we SEE is not actually what we GET in real life.

2 comments:

  1. It does make you wonder, doesn't it? The whole "autocorrect" button is new to me still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cool! I may have to jump on the INstagram bandwagon one of these days...

    ReplyDelete