Sunday, September 19, 2010

Talk Like A Pirate Day


In case you didn't know, today is Talk Like A Pirate Day. I'm not very good at speaking the lingo, but this website is helpful. I have several books on pirates (mostly non-fiction) including one dictionary type book that is similar to that website. Pirates were nasty people, and still are, for that matter. It's interesting how Hollywood glamorizes them so much, but I guess they do that with just about everything.

In addition to not speaking pirate well, I certainly don't dress like one, so I have to make due with this silly picture above. Not that this is how a pirate would dress -- I'd have picked one of Anne Bonney instead, but they didn't have her for some reason. Imagine that! Face-in-Hole is a fun site, especially if you want to make yourself look like a dork like me. Back in the early 90s, I suppose I could have worn an outfit like this. Not that I would, but it would be nice to be able to, like if I had to or something. However, I am making it a goal to get myself back in shape. You know ... just in case some handsome pirate comes knocking at me door.

5 comments:

  1. You make a might fine lookin' pirate, Rena.
    Here's a pirate joke for ya!
    A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel down his pants.
    The bartender asks, "Why do you have a steering wheel in your pants?"
    The man replies, "Aaaaargh! It's driving me nuts!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going as a pirate for Halloween - nothing so cute as your duds but I think it will be fun.

    Argh matey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha...what a great looking Pirate you make. :) I received a few notes today from friends about it being Pirate's day. Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aurg! A day late an' a gold doubloon short. Played pirates alot as a kid (to be expected considering where I grew up) but ya know, never dressed up as one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoy! The steering wheel joke was good.

    ReplyDelete