Saturday, July 23, 2011

Catch of the Day ...

This is my newest catch from our local Salvation Army. The Hymns book is a first edition from 1947. I looked it up on Amazon and found first editions running anywhere from $5 to $99. I paid a dime for this copy -- amazing! Prior to visiting the Salvation Army, we decided to check out a new Goodwill that opened up. I was surprised to find them asking $1.99 and up for books. There was no way I'd pay that when I can find them for a dime from the Salvation Army, not unless it's something I really, really want. Hardcovers and adult books are a quarter, but the smaller picture books are only a dime. And when I find treasures like first editions from the 1940s -- well -- you just can't beat that.

I did find a microwavable omelet pan at the Goodwill for 29-cents. I'm planning on using it for a low-carb bread recipe I make quite often. I saw the same exact pan at the Salvation Army for a whopping 75-cents, so I lucked out on that. Neil found a book on Halloween magic tricks and has been practicing them non-stop since we got home. Best 10-cents I spent all day! I also found a softcover copy of Runaway Bunny for a dime. We didn't have that one, so I couldn't resist. So, while everyone else was scrounging for deals over at our closing Borders store, I bought FIFTEEN books at the Salvation Army for $1.50! Not too shabby, if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. I love (LOVELOVELOVE) used books ... and also Goodwill. Half of my daughter's "material girl" clothes come from Goodwill ... shhh ;)

    ReplyDelete