Friday, November 4, 2011

Check these out ...


The other day my husband told me his mom had mailed us a package. He said she sent a bunch of old Highlights for Children magazines from the 1980s. He was in high school then, but his mom is a teacher and has received the magazine for years. At first I was a little irked because we already get the magazine and now I'd have to find a place to keep all these old issues. Rick goes, "Just let the boys read them and then toss them out when they're done." I didn't think much of it and walked by the stack of magazines for several days without even looking at them. But then ...

The other night I was flipping through the stack and saw one from 1969. Hello! There were three others from 1970, 1972, and 1973. Wow! Talk about getting my attention! So, I pulled those aside and took this picture of them. It's amazing how much is the same in these old issues, like the Timbertoes. These old issues have some great stuff in them, including sheet music.

I loved seeing all the little drawings kids sent in and was scanning to see if Rick or I had anything in there. I couldn't remember for sure sending anything in when I was a kid, but I did stuff like that a lot. I thought it would be fun to check out some of the names of the kids and see if I could locate them through Facebook or something. I mean, if I had a drawing published in a 1969 issue of Highlights, I would love for someone to show it to me if they came across it. Not sure if I'll go to the trouble yet, but it's a thought. Anyway, finding these super old issues in the stack was really a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment