Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Flax Cookies


FLAX COOKIES

1-1/2 cups flaxmeal (I used golden flaxmeal)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup sweetener (I used Splenda with Fiber)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flaxmeal, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat margarine and sweetener until blended. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and blend well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet. (I use parchment paper). Press down with tines of a fork. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Makes 24 one-inch cookies.

These cookies are really good. They're about 80 calories for two cookies and pretty much 0 carbs. If you like yours a little sweeter, you might add 3/4 cup sweetener instead. To me, flax is already pretty sweet. These remind me a lot of oatmeal cookies without the high carbohydrates. Raisins would make them really good, but those are way too high carb for me right now.

4 comments:

  1. I've never used flaxmeal before. But I did just buy a bag of flaxseeds to add to our granola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I use flax in my oatmeal. I never thought it could be used for cookies. I might have to try this. I'll probably have to call them something else, though, because I don't think my kids would eat something called, "flaxmeal cookies!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Sherry! Good point. They taste an awful lot like oatmeal cookies because the flax has a similar texture. Next time I make them I'm going to add some chopped walnuts and maybe some sugar-free chocolate bits to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of flaxmeal cookies and I'm a big fan of flax and fiber. This is a great way to use my falxmeal. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete