Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Poetry Book Finds


I found these two old poetry books at the Salvation Army the other day. I paid a quarter for each one. I don't have many poetry books. Most of mine are teaching books. Since I love these old, hardcover books, I couldn't pass these up. They have that musky, old book smell -- mmm -- I'm weird, I know.

Poetry for Holidays is a collection of poems selected by Nancy Larrick and illustrated by Kelly Oechsli. It was published in 1966 by the Garrard Publishing Company. One poem that got my attention is called "This Is Halloween" by Dorothy Brown Thompson. It has an uncanny resemblance to the Nightmare Before Christmas song of the same title. Odd, considering this poem was published in 1966. Inspiration for Burton, perhaps?

How to Eat a Poem & Other Morsels was put together by Rose H. Agree and illustrated by Peggy Wilson. It was published in 1967 by Pantheon Books. It features poems by a variety of authors, as well as some traditional ones. There are poems about toasters, strawberries, Christmas cookies, breakfast, picnics, and even about minding your manners at the table.

Great old books! You just never know what you might dig up at a thrift store.

1 comment:

  1. How crazy about the Thompson poem. The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of our favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete