Friday, January 9, 2015

Fishy! Why are you sleeping?!?!


Well, it looks like we're back in the world of aquariums. This is our tank above. When we moved from California to Montana in 2008, it was full of fish, and we didn't want to have to get rid of them. There were too many, and no way they could make the drive with us. So, my in-laws were kind enough to take the tank for us. They enjoyed it and their cats loved it. Even when we went to visit them just this past December, there were two of our remaining fish still alive. We moved EIGHT years ago, and the fish were old then! I couldn't believe they lived that long. However, one passed while we were there, and the other wasn't doing well at all. The fish my in-laws had added was an algae eater, which wasn't doing well either.


So anyway, the tank had become way too much work for my in-laws to keep up with. They're getting up in age, and my FIL is dealing with cancer and treatments, so it was just way too much work. Since we had our van this time, we decided to take the aquarium home with us. The two remaining fish were so bad off, so it wasn't as dramatic had it been emptying a full tank of fish. Rick got it all cleaned out and we brought it home. We got it set up right after Christmas.


We bought 16 new fish for the tank. Up until last night, they were all doing great. Sadly, we lost one of the Dalmatian Platys just yesterday. We'll probably replace that one, since there's only one now, and I just can't stand that he or she is in there without a partner. I'll probably pick another one up tomorrow. Other than that, the rest of the fish are doing great. I tried to take some photographs last night. That was a lesson in patience and frustration. I realized that maybe aquatic photography is not for me. Ha! They'll float motionless until just about the time I get the camera focused ... then they swim away like little spaz monsters!

Even so, I'm so grateful to my in-laws for taking such good care of the aquarium. I never expected to get it back, but it really is nice having fish again. Denny loves them as well.

4 comments:

  1. Denny says YUM!
    We had an aquarium for years, too. It can be so mesmerizing watching them somtimes. What size is the tank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 28-30 gallons, if I'm remembering right. I've really missed having fish. :)

      Delete
  2. Aquariums are a lot of work. Yours looks really pretty Hopefully you won't have any more fish casualties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are a lot of work. At least they're easier than salt water tanks. We've never attempted one of those. Just the fish alone cost a bundle.

      Delete