I love pickles. Dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread & butter pickles, wholes, spears, chips, even pickle relish -- I love it all. I'd say Vlasic is my favorite brand, but I couldn't find a good picture, so I settled with Claussen. Pickles have been around forever. I believe pickles are even mentioned in the Bible. Julius Caesar, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Napoleon all liked pickles. Pretty big names for the pickle business. Here are some interesting facts about pickles --
- Pickles are low-calorie and low in fat
- Dill pickles only have 5 calories
- Pickles are high in vitamin C
- Pickles help you absorb iron better
- Americans eat about 26 billion pickles per year
- Pickles were on Columbus' three ships to prevent scurvy
- Lays and Pringles both have dill pickle flavored potato chips
In late spring 2009, my first children's book will be out. It's called A New Job for Dilly. It's a story about a little rat who loves dill pickles, but doesn't like stealing them. He decides to look for a job so he can get his favorite snack easier. Dilly's love for pickles is what keeps him going. I've written two other stories about Dilly, both featuring pickles, but I'm not sure if they will materialize into books yet. If they do, I could have a trilogy of stories about a little pickle loving rat named Dilly.
So now I ask -- do you like pickles and if so, what are your favorite kinds?