Sunday, September 21, 2008

IGOR

Rick and I watched IGOR last night. We left with mixed feelings -- did we like this or not? One thing we agreed on was that our boys probably wouldn't. First of all, my two youngest don't like going to the movie theater. They think it's too loud, which is silly because they're way louder when they play at home. But they don't enjoy going, so we don't make them. Another reason are the previews. Why do the theaters do previews for movies like Twilight when they have an audience of kids inside? I think that's why my boys don't like going. My poor husband. We don't go to the movies very often. I'd say we go maybe a few times a year. This past year I've had Rick take me to see Speed Racer, The Clone Wars and now IGOR -- all animated films. As for IGOR, it's getting really bad reviews. I don't think it's something my kids would like that much and it definitely has some interesting factors -- a rabbit with suicidal tendencies, one character who pops pills to keep herself beautiful who also wears baby seal slippers. Just stuff like that which might make some people flip out. There are also a few times where the characters tell the monster she's ugly and hideous. It's a little cruel in that respect. So for that, I don't think it's a good movie for little kids. It has a PG-rating, so people should consider that. The animation was good and IGOR does have some interesting characters. IGOR himself is quite likable as are his two friends, Scamper and Brain. Even the monster, Eva is sweet and you immediately like her. But in all honesty, I wouldn't take young kids to it. It's not that scary, but it is dark and has some dark themes that parents might find objectionable. I however, like these dark animated films, being a fan of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. I was hoping IGOR would stand up to those, but frankly, it didn't. NBC and Corpse Bride revolve so much around music. IGOR had music in it, but it wasn't that spectacular. All the same, it has some funny parts and I still enjoyed it. It's definitely an animated movie for older kids and adults.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Rena.

    Bummer...well, at least I'll know to wait until it's released on dvd or OnDemand.

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gale! You know, I'm not real good with movie reviews. Sometimes I read reviews to movies that people hate, only to go to see them myself and I love them. I wouldn't say "don't see this movie", but I would suggest watching it without your kids first to see if it's something you want them to see. Having said that, when it comes out on DVD, I will probably buy it to add to my collection, so it's not horrible. In fact, parts are really funny. And I do want to check out the soundtrack still, which hasn't been released yet. I'm sure it has some good stuff on it that was in the background (scores) that we couldn't hear too well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I understand the non pc and questionable elements you speak of, but I took it as more of a
    satire and stab of society. It seemed to mock
    Hoolywood, with the acting, the pills, the attitude- I thought it was smart. Funny thing too is my husband
    couldn't stop laughing at the suicidal rabbit, and I laughed at my husband thinking he must relate :)
    But oh Eva, so sweet, such a good message!
    I brought my monster of a nephew and jokes did
    go over his head, but he left asking when he could
    see it again. I guess that's why there are more than 31 flavors of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I totally agree. I thought the jabs were hilarious, especially when Eva is talking about all the things she plans to do as an actress. "I'll become an evironmentalist, but still fly private when possible." I thought it was funny. And even though I said I didn't think it would be good for little kids, MOST of the stuff will go over their heads. They won't see the rabbit as "suicidal". They will see him as a "bunny who can't die". I did like the movie, so don't get me wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I think I'd watch it but not with my 4 year old. He liked speed racer, though, (we got it through netflix) and wants me to buy him the DVD. I'm not sure I will. It's not that good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speed Racer is not that good? LOL Renata -- I totally love that movie. But that's what I mean about reading a review and thinking just the opposite of what they say. Hee!

    Don't get me wrong, IGOR is a cute movie and I will probably buy the DVD and soundtrack. I'm just into these darker animated films. I love NBC and Corpse Bride. My kids like them somewhat, but they're not as "into" them as I am. I just don't think IGOR will have that cult following like the others. I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete