Friday, January 17, 2014

Go, Manny, Go!


I have started revising Manny again. Manny the Mountain Goat was the first story I wrote that got me interested in writing for children. After visiting Glacier National Park with my family in 2003, I was inspired to write about the mountain goats in the park. I submitted it many, many times over the years, but no one was interested in publishing it back then. It's gone through many changes, such as going from over 1700 words down to 640. Yikes, huh? It's amazing what you learn over the years. It even has a new title — Manny's Big Adventure

I have been playing around with the notion of self-publishing it, but haven't set anything in stone. I've asked Nathan to draw me what he thinks Manny would look like, using the stuffed toy we have as an example, as well as the dozens and dozens of pictures I've taken of goats in the park. Nathan has a gift of drawing amazing facial expressions, and I think he'd do an awesome Manny. I've been considering having him illustrate it for me, and then publishing it on Lulu. Like I said, I don't know for certain yet. It would be a big job for Nathan, although one he could handle pretty well. It still might be fun even if we only printed enough copies for family and some friends. So, for now ... Manny is back on the drawing table. Yay for Manny!

I also have some other big projects I want to work on. I still have unfinished school yearbooks. Having those hanging over my head really bothers me. Some are actually finished on the computer, but I haven't had the money to print them up. I need to sort through what needs to be done, especially before this school year comes to an end, and I'm faced with the 2013-2014 yearbook. I also have that darn latch-hook rug. Remember how my New Year's Resolution in 2013 was to finish that leopard rug? I got it out to take a picture of it so I could blog about it here. Yeah ... sadly, the picture was all that got done. Maybe my 2014 resolution should be to make more of an effort on my 2013 resolution. Sad, but true.

How about you — anything you need to finish or get working on?

4 comments:

  1. Go, Manny! I say finish it and if you can't get it published traditionally, then self publish. The very first PB I wrote has been changed many times and I still have failed to get it right. They say create space is a good way to go, too, if you self publish. The first year of my marriage I did a latch hook rug. I still have it. I have many unfinished projects, sigh, wish I could get them all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I've started formatting it. Hopefully, Nathan will want to work on it with me. That might be fun.

      Delete
  2. Yay, Manny's back! Even though we didn't know each other in 2003, we've talked about that unpublished script off and on. I, unfortunately, got a rejection from Cricket this week on my 1st manuscript. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
    Aren't New Year's resolutions just a hoot! Last year I made the typical lose weight (I gained), get a job (I'm still just subbing), dedicate a minimum of 1 hour a day to writing (getting 1 hour a week) and get back into being active at church (still trying). I think I'll stick with those again this year and see what happens. Maybe I should take up a hook rug, too and we can challenge each other to see who finishes first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Kaylyn. Most of the time I try to make one simple one so I'm sure to work on it. Last year's was just a joke. I might get it out though and see about starting it up again. I'm sure my bad eyesight had a lot to do with it before, but now I have my reading glasses and they help a lot. Good luck with your story. I'm sorry Cricket rejected it. Been there, done that, many times. As they always say, we have to just keep trying!

      Delete