Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Witches, Cats ... Cat Witches?


Last week I was sitting in the parking lot of the local post office when I saw a lady walk by me. She looked like a witch. By that, I mean she looked like what you'd suspect a witch to look like. Obviously, she wasn't wearing a pointy, black hat or riding a broomstick, nor was she hideously ugly. She just had this witch-like look to her. It triggered something for me and made me think of a middle grade story I started back in 2011. I decided to open the manuscript up, only to realize I had started writing it on the same exact day, just three years earlier. Talk about weird!

So anyway, now I'm trying to get back into this story. I had about 7,500 words written for the first three chapters. Have you ever tried to pick up on a story from awhile back? Three years is a long time. At least it is for me. Fortunately—and for some strange, unknown reason—I had also written down a full synopsis of the story. I almost never do that. I also had character sketches written down. Hopefully all of that will help me get back into the swing of the story.

Oh, and for the record, there is a lady in the story who some kids think is a witch. I guess It's funny how seeing someone can trigger something else, as the lady at the post office did. The story also features cats. And by that, I mean lots and lots and lots of cats. The picture above is of some kittens my family had when I was a kid. I really hope I can get back into the story and not let another three years go by.

So ... what are you working on right now?

4 comments:

  1. What is the title?
    Do the kitties have witchy names like Hocus, Pocus, Spooky, Jinx, and Magic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cats in the picture? Oh gosh, I forget all their names, but I do like the ones you thought of! As for the story, I'm thinking of maybe going with The Cat Witch, but I'm not sure yet. It's not so much about witches ... more about animal hoarding and community outreach. We will see, I suppose!

      Delete
  2. I was talking about the cats in your story. The names would allude to the title without having to add a witch or witch theme to the story.

    ReplyDelete