Thursday, May 28, 2015

It's that time of year again ...


It's the time of year when I start carrying my wildflowers book around like a Bible. So far, we don't have a lot blooming in our yard, but I see things elsewhere, so it's just a matter of time. Last night I saw this Black Hawthorn (below) during my walk. It's so delicate and pretty.


I spotted this daisy (below) the other day at a local car wash place. I think it's an Oxeye Daisy, which is actually an invasive weed. Even so, there were a few of them sprouting up in between some garbage on the ground. With a little cropping, it's still a pretty flower, weed or not.


Below is a Woods Rose, which is also known as a Wild Rose in some states. They're blooming all over the place right now, and they smell wonderful. Most people don't think they look like roses, but the buds definitely do. I see them in light and dark pink all around the house.


Below is one of our biggest Woods Rose bushes. It grows next to a tall Tamarack where we park our cars. This bush has the lighter flowers. I took the picture above from another bush.


I believe the flower below is a Woods Strawberry. We have two varieties of wild strawberries. The other is Mountain Strawberry. Judging by the surface of the leaves being so prominent, I'm thinking these might be the Woods variety. They are edible, but usually the animals get them before I do. I actually took this one on the bike trail in ID the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment