Friday, January 30, 2009

Pillow talk ...


Have you ever been in a pillow fight? I'm about ready to have a fight with mine. I want to rip it to shreds. I hate pillows. I can't find a good one. I'll find one I think I like, only for a few months and I'm miserable again. That's where I'm at now -- miserable. I'm in so much pain right now that I can barely see straight. My head hurts, my neck aches and my shoulders are sore. I'm pretty sure my pillow is to blame. Awhile back I tried a down-alternative one from Target. I loved it for the first few months. Then it lost its shape, so I figured I'd get another one. I'm back to square one again. It has no shape, no support and I hurt. Pillows are either too hard or too soft. I just can't handle the thought of buying one of those really expensive ones, only to be hurting again a few months later. I'm open to suggestions here, so if you have any, feel free to let me know.

I've read that you should replace your pillow every few years. Another source said to replace it every few months. Pillows go all the way back to Ancient Egypt where they were found in tombs. They were used mainly by the rich. There are three main types of pillows -- bed pillows, orthopedic pillows and decorative pillows. In the US, there are four sizes of bed pillows, which include standard, queen, king and body. Orthopedic pillows include neck pillows, U-shaped travel pillows to hold the head up, lumbar pillows for the back, and donut pillows for sitting on. Decorative pillows refer to cushions, throw pillows, floor pillows and novelty pillows. There are even husband pillows, which feature two arms. I don't know if you'd call those bed pillows, orthopedic pillows, decorative pillows, or stupid pillows. Right now I think all pillows are stupid. I'd like to throw mine out in the snow, or hack it up with a knife. I'm about ready to wad up the cat in a ball and see how she works. She doesn't look too happy about that. Where's the Tylenol?

12 comments:

  1. You know I had the same problem, but it was not the pillows it was the bed. I change my bed and the neck and head pain in the mornings is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Rena! I hope you get this pillow puzzler solved soon! I don't like fluffy pillows, I'm more of a flat pillow person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I get horrible neck pain, too. I haven't figured out if it's the pillows or sitting at the computer (maybe I should cut down on the blogging ;) )
    I have one of those giant foam cylinders that I lay on sometimes to stretch out my neck. It helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to suggest this,but have you ever thought about seeing a chiropractor? I've been seeing one,it is really quite painless.I hope you find a solution to your problem.It sounds miserable.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with maybe changing the bed...

    I sleep with two pillows. A firm on the bottom and a cheap thin one on top... I have more issues with the pressure points in my hips now... So I am changing the bed this spring.... The hard part will be satisfying my husband who would love to have a wooden board and me who would love to just sink in a cloud..

    We are saving for the sleep number!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry your having pillow problems. It is hard to find just the right pillow. Good luck in your search!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A chiropractor helped me too, Rena.

    As for pillows. I have NEVER liked fiber or feather filled pillows, they lose their "poof." They are hard to find, but regular old foam rubber or latex (NOT that memory foam stuff) pillows are the BEST. They are soft, they conform to your head and neck AND they spring right back into shape the moment you move. They seem a bit pricey to me (anywhere from around $40 to $80) but they last a long time (I've had mine at least 6 or 7 years now) and they are allergy free. Here's just one place I found that has them on the net.

    http://www.pillowsxpress.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=12&pg=1

    You could get just one. If it doesn't work for you, they make great couch pillows! Or you can use it between or under your knees at night when you sleep.

    Good luck! I know all about uncomfortable pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was having the same issue. I just got a new bed. It has made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((((hugs))))) I hope you can find a good pillow.

    I usually have to arrange two or more pillows until I can arrive at the desired "feel"

    Good luck!

    more ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about a feather pillow Rena? My husband went through a lot of neck pain and money searching for the perfect pillow. Then we stayed at a hotel in Florida and he had an old fashioned feather pillow which he loved. (Me not so much as little feathers seem to fly about!)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I just bought a new one today, so I'll give it a try. Hopefully, it will make me feel better. My neck has been sore for about a week now.

    I'm still going to check out that link, Bish -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pillows are everything. They are a happy night which leads to a happy day. No neck pain. No headaches.

    So I feel your pain. I'm obsessed with my pillows. I even write my name on the tag so mine doesn't accidently become my husbands (I can tell the next morning if I've slept on my hubby's pillow).

    I like to fluff my pillow every night. My husband used to laugh at me. But now he doesn't because it does help.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete