Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Rain Puddle


I came across this wonderful, old picture book at the local thrift store recently. The Rain Puddle was written by Adelaide Holl and was illustrated by Roger Duvoisin. After searching Amazon, I see there are various copies of this book put out by different publishers in different years. The copy I have is from 1965 and was published by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Co. So, in other words, this book is as old as I am — yikes.

Red Hen is pecking away when she comes across a rain puddle. Looking into the water, she's alarmed to see another red hen looking right back at her. Fearing her feathered friend has fallen into the water, she summons the help of a turkey. The turkey goes to see for himself, and sure enough, he's just as alarmed to see that a turkey has fallen into the water. And so it goes ... one-by-one, all the farm animals check out the puddle, only to see a new animal has fallen in. It isn't long before the entire barnyard is in hysterics thinking the puddle is filled with stranded animals. Just when everyone is about to totally lose it ... the sun comes out.

It's a cute book. I love these old ones, so I'm always thrilled to come across them, especially when I buy them for a quarter. This time I really got a bargain — books were 50% off.

7 comments:

  1. Plus, you have to love it when you stumble across an old favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a copy of this! We got it through a book club when my daughter was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Marcia. I think this copy was from a book club as well. I did one of those when I was little in the 1970s. :)

      Delete
  3. The old books are so much fun to rediscover. I have one called "Growing Things" by Miss Frances - Ding Dong School; 1954. I actually got it new as a birthday present when I was 5 or 6. (but I'm not that old!) It's about growing a vine from a sweet potato. I've read it to preschoolers and grown lots of vines because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that one too. I love sweet potatoes. :)

      Delete