Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rough-legged or not?


I took this picture last week as we were driving to the National Bison Range. I'm pretty sure this is a rough-legged hawk. Rick insists it's not, but I have Nathan on my side, which is a very good thing because he's a little bird nerd. Awhile back I posted another picture of a rough-legged hawk. Click here to see it. That was one the dark morph version. If this bird here is a rough-legged, I'm guessing this must be one of the light morphs and maybe even a juvenile. I could be wrong, however, and it could be another bird all together. Just don't tell Rick that ...

7 comments:

  1. What a GREAT photo shot! Wow! And according to the research I just did online...you are correct. :) (Either that or I love you so much...or both!) hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very handsome bird regardless. And the sky couldn't have been prettier either. Good job Rena!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either way, it's a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular! Ranger Rick cover material as far as I'm concerned. And I agree with Sophia, I think it's a rough-legged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice picture!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great looking bird! Fantastic picture..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture! I am a city kid so I am happy that I recognize that it's a bird! lol

    ReplyDelete