Friday, January 11, 2013

Rosie and the Rustlers

I came across this picture book at the thrift store today. I had to buy it. I'm not familiar with Roy Gerrard, but he also wrote Wagon's West, which I recognized. When I went to look this book up on Amazon to learn more about it, I was shocked to find out how much the 1995 hard cover book is going for. Amazon is asking $454.10 for that edition. Wow! Click here for details. That's not even the first edition, which came out in 1989.

When I looked for info on the paperbacks, they run from $7.40 to $44.99. Interesting. I'm talking about the original versions, I believe, which have a different cover than this one. This one is listed here, but Amazon says it's unavailable.I'm curious because I bought this book at the Salvation Army for a quarter.

I bought the book for the illustrations. I mean, really, look at those characters. They are absolutely adorable. And how can you not love those big ten gallon hats? It is most definitely a western-themed picture book — there are guns, gangs, Indians, and everything else you'd expect to find in the Old West. It's a cute story, and of course, the good guys win in the end. The excerpt on the back reads: 

While Rosie and her wranglers are off visiting their friends the Cherokee, Greasy Ben and his gang try to steal Rosie's cattle. Luckily, Utah Dan comes up with a plan to stop them. The Old West has never been more appealing than in this rip-roaring tale of ranchers vs. rustlers.

I was hooked with the illustrations. Not only that, but the main character's name is Rosie Jones — which I thought was cool. Other characters are called Fancy Dan, Salad Sam, One-Leg Smith, Singing Sid, Mad McGhee, and Utah Jim. It's definitely worth getting if you happen to come across it. Check out this illustration ...


3 comments:

  1. That cover is a winner! No wonder you bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, Marcia. Just incredible illustrations!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this book. Those illustrations are something else. I'm always buying childrens books at the thrift store, in fact that's about the only kind I buy.

    ReplyDelete