Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!


Today is the 112th birthday of one of my all-time favorite author/illustrators, Theodor Seuss Geisel ... aka Dr. Seuss. I've been a fan since as long as I can remember. We have a large collection of his books, although I know we don't have them all. I am not sure what it is exactly that draws me to his books ... whether it be the stories, the rhymes, the unique characters and illustrations, or just a combination of everything. The latter is probably the case. One thing I loved about his stories is that they often included a moral. It seems that preaching morals is frowned upon more and more in today's publishing world. Dr. Seuss was also political in his stories, which often gets overlooked. I have so many favorite books, but I don't think I could pick one over another. Some of my favorites—in no particular order—would include:

Are You My Mother?
Green Eggs & Ham
Horton Hears A Who
I Wish I Had Duck Feet
The Cat in the Hat
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
The Sneetches
Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Go, Dog, Go!
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Hop on Pop
Fox in Socks
There's A Wocket in my Pocket!

Okay ... you get the idea. I could go on and on. One of my absolute favorites that I didn't mention above is the Cat in the Hat Dictionary. I used to look at that one for hours as a kid. I absolutely loved that one. The illustrations are amazing and I literally studied them. When What Pet Should I Get was released last year, I went out and bought it on the very first day. I have to admit, I still need to buy Horton and the Kwuggerbug, but that's definitely on my list to get. I think later today (once this nasty sinus headache lets up), I'll get out all of our Dr. Seuss books and see just exactly which ones we have, as well as which ones we need to add to our collection. I hope you can read one of his books today in celebration of the 112th birthday of this amazing children's author/illustrator. Don't forget to check out his site too ...

2 comments:

  1. One of my favs--happy birthday Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was definitely one of my faves too. One nice thing about him is that they keep discovering more of his unfinished work and are releasing it. I love that.

      Delete