Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Grosbeaks ...


Here's another picture of an Evening Grosbeak. I think there are four of them hanging around now and what appears to be some juveniles. The colors on the males are stunning. They also have a cool sound. You can click here if you want to listen to it. The Evening Grosbeaks are members of the finch family and don't seem to mind the tiny House Finches eating from the feeder with them. Between those two birds and the Dark-Eyed Juncos and Red-Breasted Nuthatches and Downy Woodpeckers -- my feeder is hopping right now. I should build a tiny air traffic control tower, since they keep whacking into my windows. We also had some Black-Headed Grosbeaks today, but I didn't get any pictures of them. Pretty birds with black and orange feathers.

Don't forget about my Lemur Troops & Critter Groups Coloring Contest. It's posted just a few entries below this one. I know Nikki got her first entry on her contest today, which was done by a four-year-old and was absolutely adorable. The contest runs until June 22nd, so please let your kids know about it. It's open to kids 10 & under. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome picture! I wish we had that many different kinds here.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny -- normally I don't like the color yellow much. But I think yellow birds are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bird! I don't know much about birds, but I enjoy watching them.

    ReplyDelete