Monday, June 28, 2010

Sassy says hello!


Things are slow in blogland, including my own. I guess a lot of people must be busy enjoying the summer months. We've had our share of beautiful weather here and I've found myself on the deck the past few days. I just finished reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. I had never read it before and once I started, I couldn't put it down. I really need to get busy getting my house picked up for next weekend. My in-laws are coming up from Southern California to stay for 5 days. The boys are excited about their grandparents coming. Nicole just let me her copy of To Kill A Mockingbird, so I'm going to try to hold off on starting it or else I'll never get anything done.

We've also had a lot of bears wandering by lately. This morning we had the black cub walk around the house. Nathan named him Flint and he limps when he walks, favoring his front right paw. Just a few minutes ago his sister was on the hill behind our house. We've named her Sassy. I'm pretty sure these are the 2 cubs that used to come by with their mom awhile back. They should be 2-3 years old now, so they've probably left their mom and she could have a new set of cubs by now. I just took this picture a few minutes ago when she was wandering around the boy's fort. We had a pretty good idea she was coming, so she didn't take us for surprise. Whenever there's a bear in the neighborhood, there is a succession of barking dogs. You can almost tell where the bear is and which way they're moving. I've learned the dog's bear bark over the other barks. It's funny how we drive around all day in national parks hoping to spot a bear, and yet, here we've had 2 in one day. She's a cutie -- she looks like a Sassy!

7 comments:

  1. That is beary scary to me - YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to lock your doors and windows when they come? Do they come and just visit and are not a menace ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'd enjoy sharing my garden with a couple of bears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bears!

    I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. There is a movie, too, but it is in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I'm sure you get used to them after a while. Maybe not so much when they're on your deck so close, but otherwise! Great pic.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keats -- I grew up in southern California, so I lock my doors and windows just out of habit. LOL! But yeah, we take extra precautions because of the bears. We have French doors and it really wouldn't matter too much if it was locked if a big enough bear wanted to come in. So far, they haven't tried to get into the house. They're just after the seeds I keep out for the squirrels and birds. I bring those in at night and don't leave them out if I'm not home. But the birds make a mess and sometimes there are seeds below the deck, so the bears come snooping around for those. I have forgotten to bring the feeders in and have had several of them mauled. But the bears are skittish of people, which is how we want them to be. There are incidents here (not in our neighborhood, but close) where grizzlies have broken into homes. I have yet to see a grizzly in our neighborhood, but hear they come around if the food supply is short. But most of the time, they're just cruising by and not really interested in coming down to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet watching those bears is a lot of fun.
    Enjoy your visitors--and those classics you're reading!

    ReplyDelete