Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Christmas Carol Birthday


One hundred and sixty-seven years ago today the 1843 novella, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens was published. I love this story -- in almost all shapes and forms. I've read the book to the boys and we have a variety of different film versions. According to Wikipedia, it only took Dickens six weeks to write the story. It is said that Dickens also refused a lump sum of money for the story and published it at his own expense. Despite disappointing profits, the book was considered a huge artist success from the very beginning.

My favorite movie is the 1957 version with Alastair Sim. Another is The Muppets' Christmas Carol. That's a must-see for us every Christmas. We also have one with Mickey Mouse and all the Disney characters, which is cute, too. The boys have All Dog's Christmas Carol, but I haven't watched that one. I'm thinking I might have the George C. Scott version as well, but I'm not sure. I know I've seen it. I need to go downstairs and see if we have the DVD. Then my MIL recently sent us the new animated version with Jim Carrey. I didn't know if I'd like that one, but I did. In fact, I liked it a lot. It's kind of scary for little ones, especially with some sudden jump-in-your-face moments, but it's still good.

To be 167 years old and still be a part of so many people's lives every single Christmas -- now that's a true classic!

5 comments:

  1. My favorite film version is "Scrooge" (musical) with Alec Guinness as Marley. I like the story so much that I parodied it for writers >:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Jim Carrey one, too.

    Merry Christmas Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rena, do you go see Christmas Carol at the Bigfork Playhouse? BPCT does a production each Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting background provided for a beloved classic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete