Sunday, September 23, 2012

That time of year again ...



Honeycrisp apples are in stores! Normally, I'm a Granny Smith girl. I love the tart, sour taste of a good Granny Smith. However, when Honeycrisp apples come out, I always break down and buy some. Our local market had them on sale for $1.59 a pound. I don't know if that's a good price or not, but some of the other markets have them for twice as much. I bought some pretty small ones today. Some of them were HUGE -- almost the size of large grapefruits or even a small pumpkin. Just one of those would have been close to a pound, so I ended up picking some of the smaller ones.

Honeycrisp apples were developed in Minnesota in 1960 and released in 1991. Originally, the project was supposed to be discarded. These days it seems the apples are in high demand. The Honeycrisp apple is a hybrid of the Macoun and Honeygold apples, and possibly the Keepsake apple as well. The Honeycrisp trees are not self-fruitful, which might explain their rarity and uniqueness. Love, love, love them!

2 comments:

  1. Apples! I love apples. My favorite is McIntosh, but when they're not at their peak I'm also a Granny Smith girl. I indulge in Honeycrisp at times. I think you got a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honeycrisp are my hands-down favorite!!

    ReplyDelete