Thursday, July 16, 2009

California, here we come ...


We're taking a trip to California soon. Our flight leaves early Tuesday morning, out of Missoula, which is 2.5 hours away. Rather than leave the house at 2am and be zombies all day, we're going down on Monday to spend the night. This will be the first time the boys and I have gone back to California since we moved away in 2006. Rick's sister, Kathy will also be coming from back east, so this will be the first time we'll meet her new husband, Rich. We haven't seen Kathy in years.

We're flying into LAX and then my ILs will pick us up and take us to the Disneyland Hotel. We'll stay there for 3 nights. The boys are really excited about that. From there, we'll go to San Diego and spend 2 more nights. I think we're going to the Wild Animal Park and the Zoo, so that should be fun. On July 26th, we'll drive from SD up to Ojai, which is where my ILs live and where I'm originally from. Ojai Avenue is pictured above. It's going to be weird because my IL's house is right next to our old house. The people that bought our house are really nice, but it's still going to be weird to look out the window over there and see someone living in our old house.

Rick is looking forward to seeing his co-workers from the sheriff's department, so I'm sure he'll be meeting up with some of them. We're also planning on taking a drive to Barstow, 3 hours away, to visit my mom in the nursing home. I've heard she's not responsive now, so it will be really awkward, but something I have to do. I'll probably leave the boys with their grandparents, since they won't understand what's going on with her. They met her when she was alert and I'd like them to remember that, not how she is now. We don't know what else we'll do for that second week, other than visit friends and maybe a beach trip. I do want to go to a fish restaurant I've really missed, as well as some stores we don't have here in Montana.

On Dilly's fanpage on Facebook, I've told everyone that I'll have my remaining copies of the book with me. If anyone from Southern California wants to meet up and get a copy, just email me and we can work something out. I know my ILs are going to buy a few more and I already have one lady interested in meeting up while I'm there. Dilly is excited about going to California. He found out there are huge pickles at Disneyland, so there's no controlling him now. Anyway, we'll be gone for 2 weeks and it should be fun. Nicole is staying home to take care of the cats and house, as well as work at her new job. I'd love for her to go, but she really wants to earn as much money as she can before she leaves for college in the fall.

On another note -- my oldest daughter, Nichelle is doing great in Hawaii. She's doing the discipleship training course with Youth With A Mission. She only has a few more weeks in Maui before they leave for their outreach program. She found out she's going to Thailand first thing and then to Borneo/Indonesia. She's really excited about it. She said they'll be traveling through jungles. This will be good for her. Nichelle is very shy and quiet, so I'm sure this experience will help her with all of that. I talk to her on the phone every now and then and also through instant messaging. She seems to be really enjoying herself and is keeping very busy.

I have the boys almost all packed and am slowly starting my own bag. The last thing I want to do is spend the weekend doing laundry, so I'm trying to get it done now. We're supposed to have a beautiful weekend here, in the high 80s, so I'd love to get to a lake and do some kayaking before we leave. Not sure if we can swing that, but I am going to try. I'll have my laptop with me, so I hope I can post some fun pictures and stuff while we're gone. I plan to be the ultimate tourist and take pictures of everything!

20 comments:

  1. Have fun in California! Sounds like it will be packed. :)

    I actually have some friends who are on staff with YWAM in Kauai. I must admit, I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Karen? I'm wondering if Nichelle is going to want to look into the staff thing more. She's having a really good time. Spent the 4th of July on the beaches of Maui watching fireworks.

    Yeah, I'm a little jealous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Anaheim, San Diego and Ojai have been getting roughly the same temps lately as you've been getting in Montana, Rena. Lucky duck, it's been 90s-100s here, blech.

    Anyway, it generally sounds like it will be a great holiday! I haven't been to Disneyland in ages. Eat a churro for me. :D

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Gale -- I just looked again and they're saying 94 for Bigfork on Saturday. Ojai is actually going to be cooler! WTH? I'm definitely going to the park and float around the lake in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to have so much fun, can't wait to hear all about it. I'm going to miss talking to you everyday. :(

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone!

    LOL Nancy -- I'll have my laptop, so I won't be too cut off from my little cyber world. You just won't see me walking around Disneyland texting on FB -- I might bump into Mickey Mouse and he'd sue me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh have a wonderful time! My fav place in CA is - you guessed it - Disneyland.

    Love San Diego too and San Francisco, and . . .

    Oh I guess there's a lot to love.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kim! A lot of people don't like CA, but there's a lot of beautiful places there. I lived there all my life and never got tired of driving by the ocean just to go shopping. I hope I never get tired of seeing deer or bald eagles up here either. It's easy to take stuff for granted, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip... can I stow away? And two weeks - lovely.
    Hey, wait a minute - are you taking your computer? I can't be blogless for 2 weeks, never mind the gnomes and daily FB comments! lol

    Have a great trip Rena.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot to add: Look out Trader Joe's, here comes Rena! :D

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Gale -- SO true! That's the first place I want to go. Nicole was jealous when I reminded her of TJs low-fat chow mein. I can't bring it home, but I can cook it at my ILs house! And the PB cups, and the chocolate tea, and the habanero salsa .... mmm!

    I also want to go to a place called Andria's in Oxnard by the harbor. They have really good deep fried halibut. Then there's Johnny's Burritos on Ventura Avenue and those are incredible!

    LOL -- think I'm just going home to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure do have a lot going on! Sounds like a great trip. Ojai is lovey. I didn't realize that is where you're from.

    And I totally agree that it will be weird to look next door at your old house and think about other people living in it.

    Looking forward to your vacation pictures and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's kinda funny and sweet that, even though you've lived in Montana for a while now, you still call Cali home. You lived here for most of your life, so it's understandable.

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I could go to Cali :-( So jealous...
    I hear its amazingly beautiful there...
    Have fun!
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. How funny - we're going to be in San Diego the same time as you! We should try to meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy your vacation, Rena! It sounds wonderful.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun time you will have. I think the boys will really enjoy it too. Plus it will be nice for your husband.

    Sounds like your daughter is doing great. Wow! She's going to Thailand and Indoneisa next. Great for her. I know she'll do wonderful. I'll keep her in my prayers. We used to live in Indonesia on Java.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christina -- Thank you for keeping Nichelle in your prayers. I really appreciate that. As you know, North Korea has been saying things about Hawaii, which is where she is now. Then there was the deal in Indonesia 2 days ago. I'm trying not to be a worry-wort, but it's kind of hard. I have faith she'll do just fine, but thanks again.

    ReplyDelete