Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wild Animal Park


We went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park today. It was much warmer than the zoo, but we still had a great time. I took over 320 pictures and even used up all the space on my digital camera card. I don't think I've ever done that before. We couldn't remember the last time we were here, but it's been ages. It's changed a lot from what little I remember. There are a lot more animals and way more trees and plants. We took the tram ride around the park and did a lot of walking. Rick talked me into going up into a tethered balloon that went 400 feet in the air. I don't know what I was thinking. I was okay at about 200 feet, but the rest was just too high. Not only that, but it stayed up there forever, or so it felt. I survived -- barely, but don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. We saw all sorts of animals and birds. My favorite were the baby cheetahs. They were behind bars and sleeping, but they were so cute. Nathan got to feed the Lorikeets, so he was in heaven. Out of the 320 pictures, I managed to get a few worth sharing here. Keep in mind I haven't edited any of them yet. I took some lemur pictures for Nikki -- they were really cute! We're spending one more night in San Diego and then making the 4-hour drive to Ojai tomorrow. I hope you like the pictures.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like you were in your own little slice of heaven - beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the lemur pictures!!! Can I have one so I can print and hang it with the illustration in my studio?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics, Rena. The tethered balloon sounds like fun - I don't recall that being there when Bob & I had gone. That was six years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

    You're right, the cheetah cubs are adorable!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! The one picture of the, I guess white monkey, towards the end is kind of creepy. It looks like a human in a costume. What is that called?

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab pics, Rena! Which place do you prefer: this or the zoo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly -- Gosh, that's a tough one. I love the openness of the Wild Animal Park, but I like the variety of animals at the Zoo. I just wish I could have spent more time at both places, but my ILs aren't in the best of health, so we were limited to how much time we could spend.

    Give me some flowers and animals to take pictures of and I'm one happy camper though -- :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful pictures Rena.
    Must be weird being back in your old hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome shots Rena! I had never heard of this place but I am adding it to my list of "things to see in California." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When were you at the Wild Animal Park? Jamie and I live about 25 minutes from there. We would have loved to see you. Whenever you come back to San Diego County, we hope we will be able to see you. We go to lunch there about once a month. What a great place. Your photos are awesome. Hugs, Betsy

    ReplyDelete