Sunday, January 17, 2016

A long time ago ...


I don't know if you're into Star Wars as much as I am, but I'd really like to see The Force Awakens at least one more time before it leaves theaters. There is an estimated release date of April for the DVD, but I'd still like to see it again on the big screen. I've seen it four times already. I've never seen a movie in a theater that many times. I can't even recall seeing a movie twice in a theater, more or less four times. Star Wars is different.

I saw A New Hope at the Ojai Playhouse in 1977. It was only the second movie I saw with just a friend, and not my family. For whatever reason, seeing that first movie still stands out in my mind as something positive and happy. I fell in love with the movie and characters from the very start. I could really relate to Luke, especially him not knowing his father. 

It's funny because I didn't see Episodes I and II in the theater. I was really pregnant with Nathan when The Phantom Menace came out. Then I had just had Neil shortly before Attack of the Clones was released. I saw both of those at home, but I did go see Episode III in the theater. I guess five out of seven isn't too bad. Mark Hamill liked one of my Tweets recently. As silly as that sounds, it totally made my day. Meeting him would be a dream come true for me.


6 comments:

  1. I've had good memories going to the theatre to watch Star Wars. I loved watching the movie with family, friends, and strangers. When I saw the Force Awakens (the second time) I sat next to a young boy and his father because my own kids had to get separate seats. The child was watching the movie as if he was seeing something wonderful for the first time and the father had a grin on his face. Star Wars is rare because it offers a shared experience of familiarity amongst strangers in the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, John! I was watching a clip on Facebook the other day of a little girl watching Episode V. Her face when Vader tells Luke he was his father was priceless.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to see The Force Awakens before it leaves the theater...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can, Bish. I loved it. Much of that was because of the nostalgia aspect and the reuniting of characters.

      Delete
  3. I was 7 when A New Hope came out and saw it 6 times in the theater--I was in LOVE with Luke Skywalker! Return of the Jedi has always been my favorite; my brother and I even had a big countdown before we were able to see the movie. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to you. I felt the same way about Luke. I was twelve. :)

      Delete