Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dillys of the World Unite!


Today is a good day for me -- it's World Rat Day! Click on the link if you want to learn all about this unofficial holiday that celebrates rats as companion pets. I have to be honest, I've never owned a rat in my life. I've only had hamsters when I was growing up. I was always a little freaked out about rats. Some of my friends have them and tell me they make terrific pets.

A Fancy rat is a domestic brown rat. Domesticated rats are different than wild rats. Fancy rats can differ in color and can be white, multicolored, even blue. Most wild rats are brown, gray, or black. It's believed that Fancy rats are easier to tame than their wild counterparts. They also live longer because they're protected more. Pet rats can live 2-3 years, whereas wild rats live about an average of one year. A Brown rat is a wild rat that's also called a Norway rat. These are the most common and live anywhere humans live. Rats will eat almost anything. Studies have shown that they like scrambled eggs, macaroni & cheese, and cooked corn. Their least favorite foods are raw celery, peaches, and raw beets.

My first picture book, A New Job for Dilly, is about a little rat who loves pickles. Dilly loves sour pickles so much that he sets out to find a job so he no longer has to steal them. His adventure takes him from A through Z until he finds the perfect job that allows him to enjoy his pickles. Dilly is a Brown rat because he lives out on his own in the wild. A New Job for Dilly is the first of a three book series. It's illustrated by Lisa Oakman and published by 4RV Publishing LLC. It will be released at the end of April 2009 and you can pre-order it now. Just click on the little book icon to the right of my blog. Dilly is absolutely thrilled that there's a special holiday just in his honor. How about you -- have you ever had a pet rat?

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting info on rats. I personally think they're icky except of course Dilly! Happy Rat Day, Dilly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a cute book! I have to say that I personally am repulsed by real rats. PB versions I can handle :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear, Dilly has to live longer than a year. Maybe because, although he's in the "wild," he is more civilized, he'll last much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had a pet rat - but I do love small furry rodents! I did have mice & they were pretty cool - although I've heard they aren't quite as smart as rats. With 4 cats, I don't see rats in my future - either as pets or uninvited visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister and I had pet rats when we were teenagers.It all started when Kelly brought "Johanna" home from college so she wouldn't be euthanized.They worked with lots of small animals there,and when they were done,they just put them down if no one took them. We also bought Mikki and Jasmine from a pet shop. Jasmine had 6-8 babies not long after I brought her home.I certainly wasn't expecting that.:)Rats make really good pets if you handle them often.I reccommend them!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Rat Day to Dilly!!

    Baby rats are very cute, but when they get huge, they're not as cute. (My friend had a pet rat that had babies.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am one of those people who equated rats with vermin and garbage and never ever considered them as a pet! Only through reading the WMB and hearing about them as pets have I become a wee bit more tolerant... I think I would still be a 'scream and jump on the table" kind of girl but who knows.

    I did have hamsters when I first married - they were to prepare us for having kids someday! Well - that didn't work! I have tried repeatedly to squeeze my kids into those tiny wheels but to no avail. Guess I should have stuck with my hamsters! lol

    Congrats again with Dilly Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to The Day of the Rat.I've never had a rat, but I did have white mice.

    Rat's are clever beasties. My father worked in a lab that did various studies on different animals. We learned about how smart they are, and pigs too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS!
    I look forward to one day ready your story about Dilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I still don't like 'em!

    ReplyDelete