Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pastel de fruitas ...


Yep, it's time of year again. Time for me to talk about the love/hate relationship with the fruitcake. Actually, I've posted about this interesting dessert back in 2008. You can read it here by clicking on Yo fruitcake! I think there's a picture of my cat Belle, who is sadly no longer with us. For some reason, she liked fruitcake. She was odd. She also liked Cheerios and rice cakes, but that's another story. So, here's question for you ...

Do you like fruitcake, or do you hate it?

Rick and I have been together since the beginning of time, maybe even longer. We're at that stage in our relationship that we often think of the same things at the same time. For example, he will ask me where I want to go out to eat for dinner. Before I even get to say what place that comes into my mind, he blurts out the same place. It's kind of freakish. Anyway, we had one of these moments last night when we were watching Unwrapped. Do you like that show? Last night it was about holiday favorites -- things like candy canes, ribbon candy, petit fours, Yule logs, and of course, the dreaded fruitcake.

They did a segment where they showed a town that has an annual Fruitcake Toss. Lots of places do this, so I guess it's not all that uncommon. However, while watching the show last night, Rick blurted out exactly what I was thinking. He said something to the effect of wondering how many hungry people would love to have a piece of fruitcake. I mean, think about it. There are a lot of hungry people in this country. There are people who go to bed each night with empty tummies. Anyway, as we watched these people chuck fruitcake around like it was garbage, the thought came to both of us. I don't know. It just seemed kind of ... sad.

I like fruitcake. There's a store here that sells it by the slice, and depending on big the piece is, it can be pretty expensive. I think it's good. I don't know about other fruitcakes. I would assume some of them are awful, just like anything else. I don't buy it often -- maybe once or twice a year at Christmas, if that -- and I'm the only one in the house who likes it. Rick won't even take a bite to see if he likes it or not. It's really gotten a bad rap. I guess it's just one of those things that people either love like crazy, or hate with a passion.

3 comments:

  1. I would probably like a 'good' fruitcake. But the ones that you used to buy in the store that was in a box and they were full of those jellied fruits, I didn't like. I have a friend who gets together every year with her sisters and they make fruitcake. She says they are delicious and theirs probably are - homemade like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fruitcake fan. I think I've had only one that I thought tasted decent.

    That's funny about you and your husband being on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE fruitcake! Here it is traditional to have it topped with marzipan and royal icing. Just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete