Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do you ride?


The boys are really getting into riding their bikes again. It's kind of a seasonal thing in Montana, compared to being able to right year-round in California. I thought it would be fun to take our bikes to Grand Teton in June, so I got mine down from the rack and looked at it. Oh my gosh -- the poor old thing! I thought I just might have to replace the tubes, but turns out the tires were shot. It used to have a gel seat, but that had turned rock hard. There were a few other things broken as well. We figured it would cost just as much to fix as it would be to buy a new bike. So, rather than shooting it and putting it out of its misery, we took it to the pound instead. Maybe someone at the Salvation Army can get it in shape again.

I think we bought it in the early 80s when the girls were babies. It still had the thing on the back where we used to hook up the girl's bike seats. It was an old bike. However, considering I haven't rode that much lately, I didn't want to spend too much on a new one. We went to Target today and I was planning on buying one of the $99 mountain bikes I had seen there. I ended up with this one above, which cost about twice as much, but it seems like a good bike. I read some good reviews anyway. It's a Schwinn Clear Creek and it's teal green. I haven't ridden in years, so now my legs feel like jelly. I think we're going to go on a ride tomorrow by the Swan River, so hopefully I will survive! I'm sure my legs will be mush by tomorrow night though.

How about you -- do you ride much or like riding?

11 comments:

  1. I love riding and look forward to it this summer. I just got a bike near the very end of summer last year, so I have yet to enjoy it. I can't wait!! :)

    Happy Sunday! hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certain things I did when young so very very often that now as an adult they just do not interest me-- like bike riding, playing monopoly, swimming, canasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new bike is really neat looking! I have a bike, too, but I walk more. Walking and riding must use different muscles, though, because my legs are always sore after riding my bike for the first time. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our house is in a valley, so to leave it in either direction you have to go up a steep hill...too much like hard work for me! I used to ride quite a bit when I was younger.

    Enjoy your riding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all geared up to ride cross country with a friend when life intervened over ten years ago. Love riding. Nothing like the open road... Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to ride a lot it was great fun some days I think need to buy new bike and ride off

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid, my friends and I rode bikes all over the place!
    My kids now enjoy it too. But I just can't get back into it! My husband has a bike and I had to prove to him last summer that I actually really knew how to ride a bike, I just chose not to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice bike! Nope haven't riden much in years. But who knows, that could change. I've got a friend who rides and I may take it up again and ride with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to ride like a FIEND! Now my baby is on training wheels, so hopefully it's just a matter of a few years before we can all hit the trails together again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I bought 2 Cannondale mountain bikes a couple years ago. The first year we rode like crazy, the next not so much, and the next not at all :( But this year we are determined to start riding again, that is as soon as it gets a little warmer out. I love to ride, so does Bob, but it seems he always has another more pressing, to him anyway, project to tackle after dinner.
    Congrats on your new book!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a confession to make - I am afraid of bikes - even stationary ones. I had a bad bike accident when I was in grade 7 which landed me in the hospital and lost me some teeth. I have never gotten back on a bike since and the older I get, the more I fear them! My hubby is the one to take the kids out on their bikes because even watching them on bikes freaks me out. As it is not good to pass your fears onto your kids, I figure the best thing I can do is stay away from bikes! lol

    ReplyDelete