Thursday, April 22, 2010

Turtle x3


Rick took this picture when we visited the National Bison Range awhile back. I wish I could say I took the picture, but he had the good zoom that day. Not that I'm bitter or anything. I cropped it though, so that has to count for something. Right? If you click on the picture, you should be able to see them close up and better.

I love turtles. When I was really little, my brother and sister found a turtle by our house. It was covered in tar or something and all I remember is them trying to get it off. Other than that, I've never owned a turtle. Nicole once said that she wanted to get a turtle and name it Turdy. After all, she has a cat named Kitty. Sounds logical to me.

I'm pretty sure the turtles in this picture are Painted Turtles. They're found in ponds, marshes, and lakes. These particular ones were in the middle of a pond near a trail at the Bison Range. They're called Painted Turtles because their skin has red and yellow marks that looks like it's been hand-painted. Here are some more interesting facts about them ...
  • Painted Turtles are the only species in the Chrysemys genus.
  • They are the official reptile of the US.
  • Painted Turtles hibernate by buying themselves in mud.
  • They can submerge in 3 feet of mud under 6 feet of water.
  • Painted Turtles can survive without oxygen up to 5 months.
  • They eat insects, worms, tadpoles, fish, carrion, and aquatic plants.
  • Turtle eggs are preyed upon by just about everything.
  • Predators for adults are alligators, raccoons, eagles, osprey, hawks.
  • Painted Turtles can live up to 30 years in the wild.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool, Rena. We just got back from Topsail Island, NC, where lots of sea turtles come to lay their eggs. Unfortunately we were there before the season started, so we didn't get to see much. They have a sea turtle hospital and they have volunteers who walk the beach and mark the nests so that people do not disturb them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool, Tricia. Nichelle saw some sea turtles in Hawaii and said the laws are really strict and you can't get near them. Sea turtles have such a hard life. No wonder they live as long as they do. I remember watching Blue Planet and see all those animals lie in wait for the eggs to hatch. As soon as the babies tried to go from the shore to the water, everyone attacked. It was awful and the percentage of them surviving is SO low! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turtles are so amazing. I always think finding one in the wild is a HUGE treat. Last summer T and I saw one swimming alongside our rowboat up at his Boy Scout camp. It was HUGE! We felt blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. I think you remember that I LOVE TURTLES TOO!!!!! :D hee hee

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture. We found a baby painted turtle when we were kids,and stupidly,my parents let us bring it home for a pet. "Myrtle" lived quite a few years,but looking back,I wish my parents had said no.I'm sure turtles are much happier in the wild.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another informative post! I like that they are the "Official Reptile" of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture!
    When I was little, I'd catch turtles and then paint my initials on its shell with nail polish. Probably not the greatest idea...I hope I didn't harm them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this photo! We had fun watching some while we were in NC for spring break. They move so much faster than I thought they would!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture! sad to say, our leatherback turtles are gone - as usual man is to blame for poaching the eggs:(((

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picture Rena! (or should I say Rick!) We have never had a turtle either - no amphibians at all actually. Though my son is only 5 so I imagine it is only a matter of time before the requests for a snake start! eek.

    ReplyDelete