Sunday, July 12, 2009

Holy moly, Batman!


Yesterday Rick opened up our patio table umbrella and this little guy flew out from under it. He didn't go far and landed on the deck railing, so I was able to snap a few photographs of him. Well, I guess it could be a she, but I wasn't about to check. We see bats here at dusk quite often, but not usually in the middle of the afternoon like this. The boys were fascinated with it, especially Nathan, who must have stood and watched it for 20 minutes or more. Neil is a little more skittish about them, so he watched from a distance.

I looked online to see if I could find out what type of bat it was and the closest I got was a Long-legged Myotis. Are there any bat experts here that might know for sure? According to everything I read, these bats prefer forested areas, which is exactly what we live in. I was able to get pretty close to take pictures and I didn't realize how hairy bats were. This one was really fuzzy, so that surprised me. Most of us see these critters at dusk when it's hard to get a good look at them. That certainly wasn't the case this time!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, how cool! It's neat when you can get up close & personal with wildlife. Thanks for sharing, Rena. :)

    As for what kind of bat it is, you've got me. It's probably the one you've surmised through your search.

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what kind of bat it could be, but he/she is kind of cute! Neat picture!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Nance -- I was kind of surprised by the "cuteness" of it too. Kind of reminds me of Belle in a way. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lucky find:) And it wasn't pertubed to fly away. We used to have a few hanging on our plants but they have found refue elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh that would have totally freaked me out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would have made me scream like a baby - oh but I already did that this weekend. . .


    Great photo and thanks for the bear pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I am with Neil on this one. Except I will take it a step further and say "Eek" and run away. Bats are not my thing. lol (Obviously I can't help you with a breed!) :)

    ReplyDelete