Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Traditions


I'm pretty sure I've posted this picture before. If I didn't put it on my blog, I probably put it on Facebook. This was our Thanksgiving table last year. I've been going through photos and was surprised that the only ones I took last Thanksgiving were of the crafts the boys made. I hope to get more taken this year, especially because Nicole is coming home from college.

Do you decorate much for Thanksgiving, or do you get right into Christmas? I'm going to get my Thanksgiving decorations out today and get our table set up. As you can see, almost everything we have are crafts the kids have made over the years. I love it. I do have nice china and stemware, but I never use it for Thanksgiving. Instead, I splurge a few bucks on paper plates with turkeys on them because, quite frankly, those go perfect with all the fun crafts the kids have made. We usually start decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving, so this stuff doesn't stay out too long.

Do you have any unique Thanksgiving traditions? On our table you can see a runner in the middle. Every year we take a permanent marker and write what we're thankful for and date it. It's getting pretty filled up and eventually we might have to start writing on the other side. I can't remember where I got the idea, but knowing me, it was probably from Family Fun magazine. They always have fantastic ideas for stuff like this. If you don't have any fun family traditions, you might want to check them out online. So, the table runner is one of our Thanksgiving traditions. It's fun to read it and see what everyone was thankful for over the years.

3 comments:

  1. The table looks great, and those pinecone turkeys in the post below are adorable! The runner is a great idea, too - it must be fun to read year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go to my mother-in-law's so no Thanksgiving here. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the table!

    I don't decorate. But I usually cook for all my friends on Thanksgiving. We have a long running tradition of writing down what were thankful for, folding the paper and putting it in a hat. Then everybody pulls out a piece of paper and reads someone else's. It's a nice way to share.

    ReplyDelete