Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day!


Hey, I know what you're thinking ... "Good grief, Rena, you are so weird!" If anyone knows how true that is, it would be me. Some people hate squirrels and see them as pests who destroy their homes or gardens. I happen to adore them. I see them as adorable, little furry creatures who are a constant source of entertainment -- not to mention my cat. All I have to do is say, "Squirrey!" and Denny gets all buggy-eyed and starts looking out the window. And no, that's not a typo. I do say it more like, "SQUIRR-REEE!" So yeah, the whole Rena, you are so weird thing fits -- like a glove.

Squirrel Appreciation Day is always January 21st. Check out the link if you don't believe me. I posted a picture on Facebook yesterday of my poor birdfeeder. I'd forgotten to take it inside and we got nearly a foot of snow in a 24-hour period. I just asked Rick to dump it off and add new seed to it. He was already outside in the snow, whereas I'm sitting here in my Las Vegas jammies. So, Squirrey has fresh seeds out there today, providing he can tromp over all the snow to get to the feeder.

So, how about you -- love squirrels, or hate them?

3 comments:

  1. Squirrel appreciation day? Whoa. I better tell my dad so he doesn't go out to shoot one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know we had a squirrel appreciation day. I simiply love squirrels and their antics. Right outside my kitchen window is a large tree. In between two branches at the base of the trunk I have a wire inserted and each day I put out an ear of corn. One squirrel is so funny, if there is only a corn cob left, he stretches out by it and stares at the window until I notice him. When I go out with an ear of corn, he goes up a couple of branches until I've put it on the wire. As soon as I'm finished and walking away he runs down and begins eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're weird at all! Squirrels are cool.

    ReplyDelete