Thursday, May 7, 2009

Got Cereal?


Do you like cold cereal? I grew up in the 70s and remember cereal being a big deal. In the past, I've blogged about old records that used to be on the backs of cereal boxes. I remember standing in the aisles, scanning all the boxes of cereal, trying to find just the right one. Of course, that mostly had to do with what free toy was being offered inside. My boys would love to pick out cereal that way, but fortunately, they're both picky eaters. I'm not only a cereal nut, but I also love nostalgia. I found this Cereal Box Archive website and was going through some of the old pictures. Boy, talk about a blast from the past with some of these old cereals! It's fun to go back and look at these old boxes and see how much they've changed over the years.

With 4 kids, we go through a lot of cereal at our house. Rick & Neil eat it dry, but everyone else likes milk. Nathan is totally cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs and would eat that all the time. I think he just found a new love with Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Neil & Rick can put away a box of Cap'n Crunch Berries in record speed. The girls loved sugary cereals when they were little, but now they prefer simple ones like Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, Crispix, and so forth. So, here is a question for you -- what are your top 5 favorite cereals? They don't have to be dry cereals either. Mine would have to be --
  1. Cocoa Krispies
  2. Chocolate Malt-O-Meal
  3. Apple-Cinnamon Cheerios
  4. Special K Chocolatey Delight
  5. Raisin-Spice Instant Oatmeal
And yes, it really is 3am as I type this. I've had another sleepless night of nonstop coughing and I finally gave in and got up. I'd love to have a bowl of cereal, but the milk would just make me cough worse. Also, one last thing and then I'm going back to bed -- please check out Nichelle's blog, In My Own World. She posted about her upcoming training with YWAM. It's hard to believe in less than a month, she'll be leaving us and living in Maui for 3 months, followed by another 3 months in SE Asia. If you could stop by her blog and say hello, I know she'd love that. I'd appreciate it if everyone could keep her in their thoughts and prayers as she embarks on this adventure.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, 3am. That sucks. :( *hugs & a cup o' tea w/honey*

    My five fave cereals:

    1. Special K w/Red Berries
    2. Cracklin' Oat Bran
    3. Muselix
    4. Mini Wheats
    5. Raisin Nut Bran

    My parents were really strict when it came to stuff like sugary foods. Particularly with cereal - they never let me eat the sugary stuff (I grew up with Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat!). I hated it at the time, of course, but now I'm glad they did it.

    TH had sugary cereal as a kid and he still eats the stuff. I always tell him he's practically eating dessert for breakfast!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top five would have to be:

    Grapenuts
    Cheerios
    Chocolate Ricechex (you can eat 'em like a snack)
    Oatmeal (in the winter)
    Rice Krispies.

    I sweeten (where sweeter is needed) either with honey or raw brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the top 5 lists on FB that got you thinking about cereal, wasn't it? :0)

    I'll keep NIchelle in my prayers. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoah! Cocoa Krispies! LOVE that! OK..here are my favo 5 cereals:

    1. Apple Jacks
    2. Golden Grahams
    3. Cinny LIFE
    4. Coca Krispies
    5. Wheaties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all time? Or the logical stuff I eat now so my kids won't realize they are missing out.

    All time:
    1. Count Chockula
    2. Sugar Crisp
    3. Booberry
    4. Honeycombs
    5. Honey nut Cheerios

    Yummy - now I am hungry!

    And Rena - do you have a lazyboy chair? You should try sleeping in that and see how that helps your cough. My mom has COPD and can't lie flat anymore- the lazyboy has let her sleep again.

    All the best,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gale -- I did the tea with honey thing last night. It does help. I kept a mug by my bed too. It was the only thing that took the pain away when I coughed, even if just for a minute.

    Christy -- Yeah, I'm sure FB is to blame with that silly Top 5 thing. I don't know how many top 5 cereals I've listed, but it's been a bunch.

    Tracy -- Thanks for the advice on the chair. I don't cough as much when I'm upright, so sadly, that's how I've been most of the night. I tried to get some sleep this morning, but it only lasted a few minutes and I woke up nearly choking. I feel awful, complain, complain, piss, moan ... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived off Apple Jacks and Fruity pebbles as a kid. It's no wonder I was hyper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rena, you should go to the dr. I know it's a ways away, but it sounds like you are maybe getting worse, I worry about you.

    My favorite cereals are ~

    Quisp (hard to find now)
    Honey Nut Cheerios
    Cinnamon Life
    Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal
    Raisin Bran

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not big on breakfast foods in general. When I eat cereal, it is usually for a snack. Here are my top picks:
    1. Honey Bunches Of Oats with Almonds
    2. Fruity Pebbles
    3. Raisin Bran
    I didn't have a fourth or fifth. Breakfast for me is usually reheated leftovers or fruit. By the way, after reading your blog post, I had to have a bowl of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds). :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. This inspired some good memories. We rarely got to eat the bad cereals. I remember being so jazzed when Apple Jacks came out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Cap'n Crunch.

    And you must be soooo proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your cough gets better, Rena!
    I'd say Lucky Charms have been my favorite, but I try not to have sugary cereals in the house. My daughter LOVES Autumn Wheat and Fiber One cereal. My youngest loves cereal bars. My oldest is picky and has a Pop tart each morning (as does his mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The heck with the cereal that “H.R. Pufnstuf” I loved him growing up

    ReplyDelete