Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mary Had A Little Lamb


According to Wikipedia, the nursery rhyme Mary Had A Little Lamb by Sarah Josepha Hale was published on this date in 1830. That would make it 179 years old. An actual incident inspired this poem when a young girl named Mary Sawyer took her pet lamb to school after her brother suggested it. There seems to be some discrepancy whether Sarah Josepha Hale wrote most of the rhyme, or another man named John Roulstone. Regardless, the rhyme was made into a song by Lowell Mason in the 1830s, which is probably how most of us remember it ...

Mary had a little lamb,
little lamb, little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went,
Mary went, Mary went,
And everywhere that Mary went,
the lamb was sure to go.

That's just the first verse, obviously, and you're probably familiar with the rest. Funny thing about this song -- a few years ago I was in Las Vegas in a buffet and got some lamb. I had eaten it when I was younger and remember liking it. I guess having children changes everything though because the first bite I took, this silly song popped into my head. I couldn't take another bite and haven't eaten it since. It tasted really baaaaaaaaaaad!

Bad pun, I know. A lot of famous people have done versions of Mary Had A Little Lamb, including Elvis Presely, Chubby Checker, Fats Domino, Paul McCartney, Slade, Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Smashing Pumpkins, and even the Chipmunks. I love Elvis' version of this song. The rhyme has also been used in many TV shows and movies. I think that's every author's dream -- to write something, even something simple, and have it be still popular and enjoyed by both young and old for nearly 200 years later -- a true classic!

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I didn't realize this story was so old. My students love it though. All versions and especially the ones that I make up about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rena! We posted about the same thing! I have a memory attached to this rhyme too, one of irony and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina -- That's cool you make up versions with your students. I bet they get a real kick out of that.

    Bish -- How funny! As they say, great minds think alike. I loved the story you posted about doing the rhyme in your school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students have sung Mary rhymes over the years. One of my favorites:

    Mary had a little lamb
    It's fleece as black as soot
    and everywhere that Mary went
    It's sooty footy put.

    It just makes me smile...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love old nursery rhymes. And I never liked lamb-always thought it was baaaad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rena -- I had this same book! I remember the cover! I would sing the song with all the verses following along with the book.

    I used to love lamb chops. Until I put it together that they actually came from cute little lambs. I've been vegetarian (on and off) most of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally did not know that Elvis sang a version of this song! See - I learn new things on your blog every day!

    ReplyDelete