Monday, May 11, 2009

Surf's Up ...


When it comes to my writing for children, most of what I've done are picture books. I have one middle grade novel, which I haven't submitted out much. It's a shorter MG with only 11K words, so it's about the length of the Flat Stanley or Junie B. Jones books. I'd like to write another novel, but I've been struggling over what to write about.

Did you ever see Surf's Up? It's pretty cute, for an animated film. Click on the link to read more about it. It's a Wiki link and not the official website. What's fascinating is all the extra stuff that came out with this film -- awards, soundtracks, books, fast food toys, clothing, bedroom sets, and stuff like that. I guess the books came after the movie. When you think about it from a writer's point of view, it would be amazing to write a story so good that all those things followed. A movie deal is awesome enough, but to have all the other stuff would be incredible.

The best thing about Surf's Up is not the movie itself -- it's the soundtrack. Even though it's an animated film geared towards children, the soundtrack rocks! It's not your typical kid's album. I love animated movie soundtracks and this is one of my favorites right now. One song I really like is called "Pocketful of Stars" by an indie-rock band called Nine Black Alps. Their other songs are a little too much for me, but the one they included on the Surf's Up soundtrack is awesome. Here is a video clip of the song from You Tube, but it's not taken from the movie itself. It's a great song ...


10 comments:

  1. It would be really fun to be the spark for such a great enterprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never seen the movie, may have to check it out!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess, I loved Surf's Up. Madagascar. Shrek. All of 'em. Guess I'm just a big old kid at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this movie. It just made me want to tap my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen the movie, although I remember the previews being pretty funny.

    I just listened to the video/song. It is so soothing and pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw Surf's UP - maybe I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids liked Surf's Up, too!
    I liked this video, all the different star images were very cool. Very pretty, mellow song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen the movie, but the song is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review - I was trying to come up with a movie I could get for our roadtrip. I think I will try and get out and pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete