Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Peggy Lee


I don't know how many people remember Peggy Lee, but I love her music. If she were still alive, she would be 89 years old today. This woman had an incredible voice and she really knew how to use it.

She was born in North Dakota under the name Norma Egstrom. Her mother died when she was 4 years old and soon after she suffered abuse from her stepmother. She found music as an escape from her poor home life and worked as many odd jobs and singing jobs as she could. She changed her name to Peggy Lee at the encouragement of a radio personality and left home for Los Angeles when she was only 17 years old.

My favorite song by Peggy Lee is "Fever", which she wrote herself. This became her signature song. Later, Elvis made it even more popular. When I went to see Elvis in concert, I'd sit on the edge of my seat telling my mom that I hoped he'd sing "Fever". Both Elvis and Peggy Lee had such an incredible way with it. Other songs she did include "Why Don't You Do Right" (later sung by Jessica Rabbit in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"), "Chi-Baba Chi-Baba", "Manana", "Waiting For The Train To Come In", "The Siamese Cat Song", and more. Most people, especially those with children, will definitely remember this song ...




Peggy Lee was also an actress and starred in several films, including Pete Kelly's Blues and the early version of The Jazz Singer. She was married four times, all ending in divorce, and had one daughter named Nicki. Peggy Lee continued to perform into the 1990s, sometimes in a wheelchair. She died in 2002 at the age of 81 after a heart attack and complications from diabetes. Inscribed on her grave marker are the words, "Music is my life's breath". Her official website is filled with lots of interesting facts about this extremely beautiful and talented woman.

10 comments:

  1. She really was beautiful and had an amazing voice. You are always a plethora sp? of information Rena. lol I learn something new everyday!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I didn't realize that she sang that! I love her voice, so smokey and lovely.

    christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know she sang that song, either - and we watched that movie so many times.
    I like the song Fever, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg is Peggy Lee?! That's my favorite Disney movie!
    What a beautiful lady with a beautiful voice. I love the style/look of that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A class act dame. I did not know she had an abusive childhood or that she wrote the song Fever, which has got to be one of the sexiest songs out there.

    I curtsy before her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Rena. I didn't know much about Peggy Lee. Thanks for the info.

    BTW, I LOVE that dress she's wearing in the top pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realized she sang either. She is truely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that was her. Fun - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Peggy Lee's music. Thanks for posting about her. I hadn't thought about her songs for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was one of the greats that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete