Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Got nectar?


I took this picture last spring -- I am pretty sure this is a Western Tiger Swallowtail. This isn't the best picture to show off its wings or fancy tail, but I like this one because it shows the detail of the face, antennae, legs, and proboscis. It might not show up that well, but you can see the mouth parts going directly into the flower. Click on it for a close-up -- it's really fuzzy!

Swallowtails are a little different than most other butterflies. As a caterpillar, they have an organ on the back of their head that can release a smelly substance when threatened by a predator. Their tails are also forked like swallow birds, giving them their name, Swallowtail. It is believed that butterflies have a very short lifespan. Depending on the species, some can live as little as a week or as long as a year. Good thing they're pretty!

Anyway, there's no real reason I'm posting this. I've been a little depressed lately about the delay with my book, so I thought I'd put up a picture of something pretty. I hope you like the photograph.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the delay, Rena. I hope things clear up soon.

    The photo of the swallowtail is cool. I love that you can see the details of its face. Thanks for the pick-me-up. :)

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! The swallowtail butterfly is really pretty, and I like how you've captured it with the colorful flowers.

    Sorry about the delay with your book! I hope it gets cleared up soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Awesome picture! the detail is amazing.

    Any chance you have (or will have) Dilly ARC's to give out for blogger review? (wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and I"m sorry about the delay, but glad that people can pre-order now. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture as always!

    I'm sorry about the delays with your book, it will happen soon.

    Hope you're feeling better though.

    :)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo! Love that you can see it sipping the nectar! My kids "grew" butterflies and released them last year. I hope to do it again this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fun info about the swallowtail. I love butterflies. That one looks so cool. Best of luck with the book process getting speedier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butterflies always, always make me happy. Thanks!

    I'm crossing my fingers and wishing you luck on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the book issue gets resolved soon. Your photo is beautiful.I agree,it's hard to look at a butterfly and be in a bad mood.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure, sure - the real reason is that you are addicted to butterflies... like me! Tomorrow... it will be eggs! lol

    Seriously though it is a beautiful picture. Hope the delays get sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Cheer up your book will be here soon!!! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photo!

    On the bright side, at least you have a book coming out. Breathe in, breathe out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's true, Bish, and I am grateful. I just feel bad for the people who ordered it a long time ago, kind of like I let them down. It was sent to the printer, but then sent back to be resized. Hopefully, it will be done soon.

    ReplyDelete