Saturday, May 23, 2009

National Taffy Day


Now here's a holiday you can sink your teeth into -- National Taffy Day! When I was little, one of my favorite things was seeing the taffy stand at the county fair. There was a little clown inside the taffy pulling machine and it stretched the candy back and forth. I couldn't go to the fair without buying a bag of salt water taffy. Whenever I went to a theme park or a beach with a boardwalk, buying salt water taffy was a tradition.

I thought I moved to Montana to be in the mountains and live in a place that had four real seasons, but sometimes I think I moved here for the huckleberry taffy. It's amazing stuff! When we lived in California, we vacationed in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area a lot. The first thing I'd do when I got close enough was buy a bag of huckleberry taffy. It's that good. Fortunately, I live here now and can get it year round. It's found everywhere -- from the local drug store to bigger places like Walmart. Next to the huckleberry jam, I would probably say the taffy is what the tourists buy most often. When you open up the bag, you're greeted with the most incredible smell of huckleberries. It smells exactly the same as if you were sitting in the forest picking the berries yourself. Once you open the bag, it's hard to stop eating it. I have a bag sitting on my dresser now -- taunting me.

Check out the link above to learn more about the history of salt water taffy. It's been one of my favorite candies since I was little. Cinnamon has always been one of my favorite flavors. I also like the candy corn flavored taffy they sell at Halloween and the peppermint for Christmas. I usually buy a bag of those during the holidays, but I have to be honest, it's not nearly as good as Montana huckleberry taffy. My MIL always sends the kids bags of taffy after she's gone to Disneyland, and I used to love their taffy too. It just doesn't come close to huckleberry. Yeah, it's THAT good!

Are you a salt water taffy eater and if so, which is your favorite flavor?

6 comments:

  1. When I saw the title of your blogpost on my sidebar (cause you're one of my favs) I thought "now that's a post I can sink my teeth into" and then I popped over here - I guess candy connoisseurs think alike ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LERRRRRRVE taffy!! There is a little store in Estes Park called The Taffy Store (appropriate) and pulls their own taffy, the machine sits in the window, it's a classic old one. They have the best salt water taffy I've ever had.

    Happy Taffy Day!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teeth hurt just thinking about it! I love that sticky, gummy, sweet stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh, I recognise that bag! :D

    I wouldn't say I'm crazy about taffy (I reserve that honour for dark chocolate), but if it's really choice, I do enjoy a good chew now and then. I'd have to say the huckleberry taffy you sent me is probably my fave. It smells so good!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't like taffy but I love my husband's grandmother's huckleberry jam. She's from Montana too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is funny, I was never a taffy fan... until I tasted your huckleberry taffy! I am definately a convert now!

    ReplyDelete