Friday, March 13, 2009

My cards --


I thought I'd show you the cards I made the other day. I'm a little hesitant to call them business cards, since they're not very business-like. Since I'm advertising picture books, I wanted them to look more fun -- which explains the squirrel. I actually scanned them first, but then realized all my personal information was on there, so decided to take a picture this way. They're a little brighter than what shows up. The picture shows 2 cards since they're printed on both sides. I thought about having some professionally made, but then decided to make them myself. One, I love designing stuff like this. I used to run a small desktop publishing business from my home in the 90s and I made lots of things like business cards, postcards, flyers, brochures, and so forth. And two, I didn't want to have to place a huge order, especially since my books aren't out yet. I figured it would be better to do them myself in small quantities for now. This was my first project using In-Design, by the way. For those who know me, you know I've used Adobe PageMaker for years. I've continued to use an outdated version, even after Adobe switched the program to In-Design. I've put off trying to learn the new one for as long as possible. It's a lot different than PageMaker. I managed to make these little cards, so that gives me hope. My next project will be some postcards for my books. As of now, we're not sure if A New Job for Dilly will be released first, or if Lemur Troops & Critter Groups will be. It's a race to see which illustrator finishes first. Nikki Shoemaker and Lisa Oakman are great illustrators, so I'm confident both books are going to be awesome. At least I have some little cards to promote with, so that's a start.

On another note -- I just want to let everyone know that Belle has forgiven me for the shirt incident. It's a good thing she's bipolar. One minute she's biting me and the next she turns around and wants me to pet her. She's sleeping next to me and seems content, just as long as that nasty tee shirt stays away. My hand, however, will take awhile to heal.

14 comments:

  1. Great looking cards Rena... and I for one am glad you included Andy the squirrel!

    Too funny about Belle. Glad she forgave you but lets just hope she never sees the picture you took of her! Then she will get you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't wait to see your books. I'm sure my daughter will love them!

    I like your cards. My favorite is Photoshop, but I like photography, so that's why. Good job on the design. I think they work perfectly for what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards look great, I like the design. I'm glad Belle has forgiven you and that your hand heals soon!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards turned out great, Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rena -

    The card looks great!!!!

    I will be making a postcard once I am closer to finishing the book. I will make a front and send it to you since you have In-Design and then you can put your info on the back if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cards look fun and I've always heard that you want something different from everyone else...so editors, etc. will remember you from conferences, etc. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cards look great, Rena. You're getting the hang of In-Design just fine. :)

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    Glamis -- I use PhotoShop too, but just Elements. I mostly use it for editing pictures though. My daughter loves that program.

    Nikki -- That would be great. I can't wait to see Lemur Troops when you finish the pictures. I know they're going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards look great. Like you, I printed mine on both sides. My info is on the front and the opening paragraph from my YA novel is on the back. That way people will remember which mannie is mine.

    Unlike you, I paid a fortune for them.

    You rock for making your own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your cards - they're ALMOST as pretty as you are but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice cards Rena! I am in awe of all of your talents.:)

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I put off switching to InDesign for a long time, too. I actually went from PageMaker to Quark to InDesign. I'm still not sure I like it yet...

    The cards turned out great :^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very professional. I like how you put your designs from your books on there too.

    And poor Belle. Tell her she did look cute.

    ReplyDelete